CJ leaf spring swap

dempsy1

I am have 3 options I am looking at

1) Swap cj leaf springs for wrangler springs

2) Replace springs with better lift springs

3)Go back to factory leaf and spring over

Help input ideas??

I'd do #1... Might be the more work, but the end result will be the best.

swap out your CJ spings for some 4" yj ones

Problem with SOA is people do it with springs that are not designed for SOA.

SOA can be a very effective method to lifting with great performance, but you need to have the correct spring... Factory YJ and CJ ones aren't them.

I've had HD Jeep springs. Trailmaster 4" that broke the frame at 3 spring perches. And now OME YJs with shackle reverse. The axle actually goes up and down. Great on the highway and pull the sway-bar disconnects and great on the trail.

Go #1. !

YJ springs with a spring over if offroad performance is important to you, but be prepared to install a traction bar in the rear. If you just want the appearance and not too concerned about the axles moving, use 4" YJ springs under the axles.

Did my cj originally have a track bar in the rear??? Most everything was missing when i got the jeep, but i can go look @ a stock one down the road.

No 79s did not have a 'track bar'. It may have had a sway bar. A traction bar is not the same as a track bar. A traction bar helps to eliminate wheel hop common with a spring over.

Last edited:

How would i go about the traction bar? It connects what to what etc?

keeps teh axle from wrapping, you have to tie the frame into the axle. There are a bunch of manufacturers who sell them.

Back