CJ Steering column question?

Bigjeepin

I have a 85 CJ7 with a steering column question I need help with. I have a shift on the column, tilt wheel with automatic transmission. It came from an older Jeep, like an older Cherokee or Wagoneer or later. I need to replace the ignition cylinder and can't get one without knowing the model it came from. All I know is that it was put in by a shop that is no longer in business. It came from an older model Jeep because it matched up with the steering and no modifications were needed. The shop that was used ONLY dealt with Jeeps and took the column from their yard of Jeeps and put it in. I have no way of talking with them, and can't seem to figure out which Jeeps were comparable to the CJ set-up. Any ideas as to how to find out?? Any help would be Greatly appreciated. Thanks!

90% of the columns where gm even the key to mine is a gm key i have a 81 cj-7 but i have a floor shift on mine with tilt wheel and the bright dim switch is on the column allso take the ing out and take it in and have them match it up as the part number should be on it any lock smith could tell u what it is for year specific by the numbers on the ignition hope this helps out

Perhaps you could remove the cylinder (through removing steering wheel and horn assy) and replace with a matched key and cylinder

Back