CJ trans

i may be wrong here,but i'm purty sure the spacer bewteen the bellhousing an trans is diff on a truck than in as cj.if so,so is the input shaft

25 bucks plus shipping from orangeville Ontario Canada and the only thing that might pose a problem is the input shaft. But I just put a t-18 on a 304 with exact same bellhousing( I have two the same) in my 69 cj5 and it worked just fine

A Jeep pickup T18 used a T15 bellhousing and a adapter with a long input shaft trany.....This allowed them to keep the transfer and crossmember in the same location so drivelines were universal from stick shift to automatics!!
Almost all truck 4 speeds were 4-1 not 6-1..
CJ version used NO spacer between bell and trany.. no room for one!
The t18 shares the same Ford bolt pattern as the t176 4 speed used in 80's CJ5's.. so a jeep bellhousing will adapt a 304/360/401/258 to the t18/t19/sm420 trany.
Novak sales used ones for 125 bucks!! I have bought a few from them!
The input shaft is the biggy to watch out for!

Here are a few facts about the T18 and CJs:

The CJ T18 was offered from 1972 to 1979 as a factory option and only behind the AMC I6 except for 1979 when it was available behind both the I6 and the V8. The CJ T18 starting in 1972 was the 4.02 low version. Sometime during the 1976 model year the 1st gear ratio was changed to 6.32 and ran until 1979; the bell housings from 1972 to 1976 where transmission specific but starting in 1977 the bell housings were drilled and tapped for both the CJ T18 and the T150. The T150s and the T 176s in CJs both used the Ford “butterfly” pattern bolt pattern. When looking for the right bell housing all of the CJ housings whether I6 or V8 have the same motor bolt pattern so you can mix and match as needed.

The front shaft length is the same for all of the CJ T18s but not the FSJ as the FSJ have a 5” adaptor in front of the transmission with a longer shaft to go with it. The Ford T18 front input shaft is about a 1/2” shorter than the CJ version so a special pilot bushing is needed when using the appropriate CJ bell housing. Novak and Advanced Adaptors both make them.

At the back of the CJ T18 is a 1” adaptor which in reality is part of the transmission as opposed to an adaptor. The CJ T18 adaptor is set up for the Dana/Spicer 20 transfer case which is referred to as the “Texas” bolt pattern. The Dana 300 case of course is “round” which is a problem as it won’t bolt up. (Except for the 1980 Scout Dana 300) The Ford T18s used for transplanting are generally 2WD and if 4WD there will be a long adaptor on the end so a new adaptor kit is need to replace the output shaft and back end depending upon the transfer case. (Again Novak and Advanced Adaptors) Remember rear shaft length quickly becomes a problem in a CJ 5 and adding adaptors only exacerbates that issue.

Here is a useful web page that should help out with your search and swap:
http://www.jeeptech.com/convtrans/cjt18/

ok thanks kriss that does help out a lot but still thinking about waiting and seeing if i even like the 3 speed cause i only drove it in my yard to move it but was a wild ride cause of the body lift and like no clutch

Back