CJ vs TJ

judge09

I have the money to buy my next jeep and I want everyones opinion. Is there a reason I should buy a CJ over a TJ. Besides the coolness factor of the CJs. I am not talking price here I am more interested in if one or the other has better stock components. I dont want a rock crawler but I am definitely doing some nice trail riding. A moderate lift is going on which ever one I buy. Sorry to all the YJs but the square lights just dont work for me. No offense...just personal preference. What do you think?[addsig]

The Tj has better stock suspension and a smoother ride,due to no leaf springs.The Cj has a little bit rougher ride but great capability,as does the Tj.I would go for a Tj if I were you.I think that you could get a good used Tj for about 8000 grand.A good Cj for about 5000 grand.Hope this helps. Later :wink: Sully[addsig]

What is you wish master! lol when I make a wish list for my next big spending fix I list what I do want in a note book and what I do not want in another. square head lights are out. ok good there. No yj for you, You really are missing the boat on that one but any ways, lol..

Market research the cost of the mods you wish to add leaf spring vs. coil spring. Do you like the rather refined interior of the newer Tj or are you a Purest for the tough Cj. Cool is a real factor and you need to see how cool do you wnat to be and what makes your cool factor soar the Cj or Tj.

Now factor in the wear and tear of age. Cj older Tj newer! Factor in the moveing parts issue Cj has less to break than the Tj but the Cjs parts are older. Dude you are asking to define only what you can answer. Get cold drink find a nice happy place and set and reach out to the devine Jeepster in the sky for guidance. lol

If you look and think real hard you will get the YJ heheheheh Tug

edited by: Tug-n-pull, Apr 01, 2003 - 11:51 PM[addsig]

It pains me to say this... but if you're talking stock, right out of the box, I think that TJ's are probably the best. The available coil spring suspension is a big improvement, and I can tell you that you won't regret having fuel injection one bit... not to mention how much easier it is to put the top down... or how much quieter they are on the highway... or the fact that you can see out of the side view mirrors... why did I buy a CJ again? :lol: [addsig]

Thanks for all the input and the only thing preventing me right now for getting the TJ is the coolness factor of the CJ. I knew deep down that the TJ had better stock components and I didnt want to buy a CJ only for the coolness factor.

jsharifi makes a good point about fuel injection. I have had carb'ed cars before and it is so much better to go fuel injected. I wasnt even thinking about that.

Come on you CJ owners...give me something to work with. I would like to get a CJ but cooler heads are starting to prevail :cool:

edited by: judge09, Apr 02, 2003 - 10:55 AM[addsig]

Does anyone know off the top of their head when the switch over from YJ to TJ happened?[addsig]

95 was the last year for the YJ, 97 was the first year for the TJ[addsig]

Jonzey, you sure that the YJ was stopped in 95. Every source that I have seen says.

YJ: The Jeep Wrangler model built from 1987-1996.
TJ: The Jeep Wrangler model built form 1997-Current.[addsig]

Scratch that last comment. Jeep.com verifies you. :-D

After not producing a Wrangler for the 1996 model year, the new Wrangler TJ was introduced in April of 1996. Traditionalists were more than happy to see that the round headlights had returned. The biggest single engineering change on the TJ was the all-new Quadra-Coil Suspension, providing for a greatly improved on-road ride. It also had improved off-road capability made possible by improved ground clearance and more aggressive approach and departure angles.

Jeep Heritage. Made possible by Jeep.com.

edited by: L33TJ33P, Apr 02, 2003 - 04:41 PM[addsig]

Unless your planning a motor swap, (to a V8) in the CJ you should go with a TJ. Stick with fuel injection. [addsig]

Don't turn the other way so quickly on those CJ straight 6's. If you keep up with the maintance, and there will be lots of it, those engines are MAD-DOGS. I have never had a CJ so I don't know the exact amount of work needed for daily up-keep, but I have driven a number of clean and smooth CJ 6 cyl , and they go like a animal! Hell if you could get a CJ with a 304 or even an aftermarket 360![addsig]

When I was looking for my jeep all I looked at were CJs and YJs. I test drove a few CJs but ended up with YJ but wasn't smart enough at the time to buy one thats a year older since I could have gotten fuel injection :-x I'm just starting ot have problems with the carb and I am really kicking myself. If you've got the money get a rubicon. But i do love CJs and would settle for the carb in a CJ over a TJ anyday. I do like both though.[addsig]

I like that quote!

As far as the CJ TJ debate goes, I had a 97 TJ and I absolutely loved it. Everything about it. I got rid of it and now I have a 76 CJ and I absolutely love it, everything about it.

It's like Tug said
Dude you are asking to define only what you can answer.
[addsig]

I like that quote!

As far as the CJ TJ debate goes, I had a 97 TJ and I absolutely loved it. Everything about it. I got rid of it and now I have a 76 CJ and I absolutely love it, everything about it.

It's like Tug said,
"Dude you are asking to define only what you can answer."

(unfortunately I couldn't figure out how to use that quote with the lines as cool as that is) [addsig]

Back