cj7 350 swap

ROade

I have been posting so much crap lately

Im looking to swap a 350 in my 82 cj7.
it currently has 304,t-176 transmission,300 transfer case
Id like to keep the t-176 transmission
anyone know what adapters/mounts Im going to need?
Anyone have either for sale or know where is best to buy from?

Sometimes it's cheaper, stronger, and more reliable to install a complete drivetrain than to mess with throwing money at an adapter bellhousing.

What do you expect to gain from the 350 over what you have now or what you can get from installing a 360 or 401 that'll nearly bolt right in?

Why? If you're going to use a late model FI 350, then I could see it. If you were going to build a 400+hp ride, I could see it. If you just bought into the myth that Chevy smallblocks are magical....then I can't see it. A 360 would literally drop right in your current setup after you bought the 360 flywheel. All of the accessories off of the 304 will work on a 360 or 401. You'll have to buy EVERYTHING for a Chevy swap, not just the engine. The money saved on swap parts could go towards some performance parts for the 360.

well, I have 2 304's,both need complete rebuild
Im trying to decide if id do better rebuilding one or swap to chevy.
The amc parts seem to be way more costly and I think I can build up a chevy alot better for the same money.
Maybe?
There is a local engine reman company that will build me a 360 with 36,000 3 year warranty for $1400 plus core.
What ya think ???????????????

I have a 72 cj in great condition for sale . CHEAP !!!
Body and frame only $200
Also I have wide track axles and factory suspension from 82 cj7 $200
And 2 brand new rough country rear shocks (for 4 inch lift) $60
also misc small parts
pics avaliable

Im also picking up another cj7 this weekend and pulling the engine. rest is for sale.
1977 jeep cj7 , no title or vin numbers, it has a 304 v8 with automatic transmission, it runs and drives but needs major brake work, master cylinder is bad front pads are gone and no rear brakes what so ever it appears the have been torched off???? i dont know and history on it other than i bought it to put the 304 in my cj7, it has a fairly new eldebrock 4 barrel carb and medium rise intake on it(needs adjusting it is run to rich) it has headers, spring over conversion lift kit, full cage but rusted around the bottom on the passager side, racing seats with harnesses,a 1/4 keg for a fuel cell in the back, bikini top and half doors, 35" tires, no clutch fan it has been converted to electric fan, new fuel pump, i do know it has a model 20 rear axle not sure on the front axle i think dana 35, this jeep was the makings of some ones rock climber and they lost interest in it so i bought it, it has a quadratrac 4 wheel drive that has been installed but the shiift linkage has been run through the floor you have to go under it and move the rod to engage 4x4, it has some kind of poor!!!!! dual exhaust system on it with new mufflers but it has been assembled with sheet metal screws

Built a roof rack

I've seen those go for hundreds of dollars. I wouldn't take less than $200 for mine, and I'd have to be desperate. The really valuable ones have AMC Group19 part numbers on them. It is basically a Performer RPM and a really good intake to have if you mess with AMC V8s.

any ideas about 304 heads
i have 3 complete 304s
wonder which heads would be the best
the years I have are :
I also have 3 carbs:
eldebrock(4 barrel),holley and motorcraft(2 barrells)
I plan on using the eldebrock with a offroad kit,the holley stalls out at steep angles

Maybe Junkpile can answer the head question. I would say that they are all the same but cannot verify that. I don't think they changed much except for the emissions upgrades (downgrades IMO).
As for the carb, if you are going to trail ride the Jeep then go with whichever one you can get to run on a hill. I would say the Motorcraft will be the best bet there. I have heard that a Quadrajet mounted backwards works really well, but have only seen that done once on a 426 Chevy. If you plan on using it on the street only then go with the 4 barrel.
Got any pictures of that 72 CJ? It sounds like you have enough parts to build an extra Jeep.

Ditch the 304 heads, all of them. The valve and port sizes are too small to make decent power. As a matter of fact, you would be doing yourself a favor if you just forgot about the 304 all together and found yourself a 360 or 401. The small bore of the 304 block is like the small valves in the 304 heads.....great for a low-revving truck engine, but not worth a dang thing as far as performance goes.
I'm running 1979 360 heads on my 304, shaved .025" with a mild porting. The big valves barely clear and you usually have to do some notching to make them fit, and they are still shrouded by the smaller 304 cylinder bore. If I switched to the bigger bore 360 block I would gain some MAJOR power across the board.
If your curious, my combo is: The worked 360 heads, Comp 280-H Magnum camshaft and lifter kit, Comp Magnum roller-rockers, Comp springs and pushrods with Isky guideplates. Port matched Edelbrock R4B with a Holley 650. Fenderwell headers with 5" bullet mufflers and 3" tubing. It's supposed to make around 320hp. I don't have a dyno(maybe I could call Snitty's friend at Autozone and borrow his :lol: ) but it'll smoke the 36s all the way through first, and that was with 3.54:1 gears and the 2.99:1 first gear in the three speed. I've outrun a couple of decent cars with it, but it was completely stripped and really lightweight at the time. I'm anxious to get it back together and see what it does with the 3.52:1 first in the four speed and the 4.56:1 diff gears.

sounds awesome!
Im try-n to work with what I have
ye ole lady wont get off any more money, ha
if I sell the 77 cj7,then Im buying a built 360 with 3 year / 36000 mile warranty $1400, then Ill put the r4b intake on it
should be sweet with the 4.27 gears Im running

yea,i can email pics of the cj5
email me at ro66@sc.rr.com

Back