CJ7 4x4 questions

SKCrosby91

Ok, so I've had my cj for about 3-4 months now, and I've taken it out in the Arizona desert plenty with no issues. That is, until monsoon season and we got enough rain for me to almost get stuck in some mud because I couldn't figure out the 4x4. I didn't wanna mess anything up so I just left it alone and got back on the path I was driving. I understand this is a very basic thing for most of you experienced jeepers, but please bear with me! How do I engage the 4x4, when do I lock the hubs, and how to I turn it back off? I'm sorry for my lack of knowledge in this issue, but thank you in advance for your help and patience!

Your Jeep is not a shift on the fly type or even the kind you can do with it rolling. So come to a complete stop then You can lock the hubs either before or after you shift the transfer case, it doesn't matter. So lock the hubs, push in the clutch and shift to desired mode such as from 2wd to 4hi and have fun. If it grinds a bit don't worry, they do that sometimes. If it acts like it doesn't want to go in have it in first and ease out a tad on the clutch to roll it forward a bit the try it again. They'll get stiff if they're not shifted much. What went wrong anyaway?

Your Jeep is not a shift on the fly type or even the kind you can do with it rolling. So come to a complete stop then You can lock the hubs either before or after you shift the transfer case, it doesn't matter. So lock the hubs, push in the clutch and shift to desired mode such as from 2wd to 4hi and have fun. If it grinds a bit don't worry, they do that sometimes. If it acts like it doesn't want to go in have it in first and ease out a tad on the clutch to roll it forward a bit the try it again. They'll get stiff if they're not shifted much. What went wrong anyaway?

Nothing really went wrong, I just didn't try because I didn't know. Does it matter if my jeep is an automatic? Should I stop and put it in neutral or park?

Just a side note, it's never a good idea to go offroading alone. Getting suck without a buddy could be a real threat, esp if its a 3 hour walk to civilization and you are upside down. I recommend joining a club. I guarantee you will meet some great people who have the same interests as you, can lend you a hand in more ways than one, have a lot of wisdom, and would love to teach you. Many clubs even have perks like discounts at local parts stores.

Just a side note, it's never a good idea to go offroading alone. Getting suck without a buddy could be a real threat, esp if its a 3 hour walk to civilization and you are upside down. I recommend joining a club. I guarantee you will meet some great people who have the same interests as you, can lend you a hand in more ways than one, have a lot of wisdom, and would love to teach you. Many clubs even have perks like discounts at local parts stores.

I agree and I appreciate your concern, but I only go on a friends land, and he is more than capable of helping me out in the worst case scenario. I would love to join a club, but there aren't any around me that are active.

Ha, I go wheeling along all the time. I have no friends that are into it, one with a yj but he don't wheel it. Agree its not a good idea at all but what else can I do, I gotta go! which is why trailrated should take me wheeling, lol. My brother used to be into it but now is more into cars and motorcycles. I have gotten pretty good a self extractions over the years. Just to add to flattie46 post, if you are in low range and it doesn't want to come out of it, sometimes I have not had good luck with pulling the jeep forward a hair and trying it again, I have to put it into reverse and back it up a hair and it will come out. If you have a auto then I think you can shift it in park or neutral. I think flattie is right, that it doesn't matter if you lock the hubs before or after you shift the tcase, but I always lock first then shift, shift out then unlock hubs, its just me.

69jeepcj, I go wheeling within an hour or two of you often and you know it AND you know you are invited bc you know the club I run with, yes? Don't you tell me you need to be invited. o_O

Nothing really went wrong, I just didn't try because I didn't know. Does it matter if my jeep is an automatic? Should I stop and put it in neutral or park?
I've never owned a Quadratrac (automatic), Neutral or park would be fine I'd say though. If you go to shift it and it doesn't act like it wants to engage, like 69jeepcj said back it up a bit or pull fwd a tad. Sometimes it might not spline up in a certain spot. you might move it a matter of inches and it falls into gear. You can practice it in your back yard, that way your not in a have to situation trying to figure it out, it's pretty simple though.

I got it all figured out now, thanks everyone. Now it just needs to rain some more in Yuma, Arizona so I can mud to my hearts content!

FYI, the basic reason for locking hubs is that while you are running on the highway, if the hubs are UNLOCKED, you are not unnecessarily turning all the gears and drive shaft in your front axle. (less drag and wear and tear)
When you plan to go wheeling (off-highway), lock in the hubs when you leave the highway and in most cases... you'll want to "air-down" your tires if you have a way to air them back up after your trip into the bush. The lower tire pressure will increase your traction and make the Jeep ride much less harsh on the rocks and broken ground. (you won't believe the difference if you haven't tried it)
It's a good idea to learn how to shift into 4wd BEFORE you need it. Some gear boxes can be a little stiff and will fight the process, but if you start out on level ground, and then shift it a few times in and out of 4wd, you will learn. Then try it when things are not level. It may require a new technique when things are twisted up. Shifting into neutral is best as the gears may still rotate... which is the only way they will eventually engage.
The thing you really want to remember is that when you get a 4wd stuck, you are really stuck. I have spent hours digging out a 4wd (before I got a winch) because "they will go anywhere". It's a long learning curve, but it builds some great memories too. If you don't get stuck once in a while, you're just not trying hard enough.
Get a High-lift jack and the attachments to use it as a winch as a bare minimum. A winch is good, but you can use the jack for other things too. I would never go anywhere without mine.
Club membership is a very wise choice as well. You can learn from others... techniques and trails and how to properly outfit your ride. 4-Wheeling is more fun after you get past the fear and learn some techniques to make you look good. You will get hooked and then the real fun begins.
Happy Trails.

Back