cj7 drop pitman arm question proper drag link angle

Platsmith

Well after two years I am finally getting my cj right. I have a four inch superlift and 1/2 inch lift daystar greasable shackles. I installed a pro comp drop pitman arm. Had a dual stabalizer on her bad mistake in my book if you plan to do a lot of off road. Stump in some much caught the lower stablizer twisted it trashed it and bent both tie rod and drag link. I have replaced tie rod and drag link with poison spyders heavy duty setup. Just the tie rod kit direct replacement not the over steering knucke kit. Here is my problem. I think the pro comp drop pitman arm either has to much drop or to much angle. At full turn my drag link will make slight contact with my leaf spring. I never really noticed it before but my drag link has a slight slop lower than my tie rod. If I am right I think that there should be like a 3 degree angle up to the pitman arm. I was thinking of the skyjacker drop pitman made for the 3 to 4 inch lift but don't really want to spend the money without knowing for sure. I have replaced the power steering box and put in heavy duty steering shaft so I know there is no problem with my frame or the brackets for stearing box. Any help would be appreciated.
Randal

RE: OT -- "Store Wars"

I used the Skyjacker and it worked fine. I did have bump steer before I installed it. Scared the hell out of me when it happened, felt like something broke off in the front end. There are two Skyjacker dropped arms, one for power steering and one for manual.

Not every Jeep needs one with a lift. maybe try your stock arm first. I've read where some drivers don't recommend them but it took care of my problem.

Bump steer is not the problem that I am having. I am worried about the angle of my drag link and if there is another dorp pitman arm that has less of a drop or less angle on the drag link. Thanks for all the help.
Randal

RE: Re: RE: Body work questions

there really is no "correct" drag link angle. It will work at any angle, but other components such as a tracbar must be adjusted accordingly.

Snitty said:
there really is no "correct" drag link angle. It will work at any angle, but other components such as a tracbar must be adjusted accordingly.

Right. I'm not sure if you have a front trackbar, but if you do the trackbar and drag link should be parallel.

YJ home-made steering linkage questions

I always heard keep it parrallel to the ground.. and others bars too.

Re: A/C - Overheating woes...

trac bar and drag-link should be parallel to each other.

Keeping it parallel to the ground, that would be impossible on most vehicles. On some vehicles where the draglink attatches right there on the driver's side wheel, then you have a bar going straight to the passenger side....then it would need to be parallel to the ground (if that makes sense). But not on a vehicle where the draglink goes from the steering box, to the passenger side, and then back to the driver side (that last bar should be parallel to the ground, but not the first draglink bar).

Cheap Axe & Shovel holders....

Thanks for all the info cjs do not have track bars so the is not the problem. The problem is the drag link that goes from the left steering knuckle passenger to the steering box. were it connect to the steering box it is slightly under the tie rod so it is angled down instead of up. Was wondering if there was another drop pitman with no so much a drop or should I go back to stock.
Thanks
Randal

Re: RE: YJ home-made steering linkage questions

hoobness said:
I always heard keep it parrallel to the ground.. and others bars too.

Yeah, you want it as parallel to the tie rod as possible when the suspension is at rest. That will minimize bumpsteer.

The tracbars on later Jeeps are crutches. By having the draglink parallel to the tracbar, the whole axle will shift over an equal amount when the suspension compresses, instead of just the knuckles......which is what causes bumpsteer.

Platsmith, How the heck is the draglink slanting down towards the pitman arm with 4" lift springs? :? Where did you get that monster dropped pitman arm? Got any pics?

I'd like to see a pic of that if you have one. How does it drive?

Whatever the case, if the drag link is angled backwards then I would definately get a shorter pitman arm. Even if it drives fine I would do it to avoid the contact with the leaf spring.

The contact with the leaf spring is exactly what I am worried about that is why I will not go playin until I have it fixed right. The drop pitman I got from National tire and wheel it is a procomp drop pitman. I almost wonder if it did not get bent farther down when I hit the stump the messed everything up. I can't remember the angle when I first put on the lift because I had the stock tie rod and drag link. I had plenty of clearance.
I am going to try and go back to stock and see what happens. It shocks the sin out of me as well cause I have the four inch lift and and 1/2 inc h lift daystar shackles. I should have pleanty of room. Sorry don't have a pic if I get one before I fix it I will post. thanks again for the help.
Randal

I run the black diamond dropped pittman arm with a 3" lift and stock length shackles and my drag link and tie rods are paralell. I doubt the pittman arm would get bent down if you hit a stump. i could see it getting bent up with a good enough wack, but not down. besides, those things are pretty beefy.

Back