CJ7 Hardtop Question?

PoliceMonkey161

Hey Gang,

A local club member told me that a hard top from his YJ will work on my CJ7? Since I have never had a hardtop to compare it too, I have no idea. Does anyone know about this?

Thanks,

John

It should fit. My hard top came off a yj, and I helped the guy I brought it from take it off his jeep and put it on my cj.

It will work fine - I had a YJ hardtop on my CJ7 for some years. The tailgates are slightly different (YJ is swing out, CJ is fold up), so the way you close the tailgate will be different. On a CJ7 the tailgate closes first, then the hardtop liftgate (aka hatch) then the swingout tire carrier. For a YJ the hardtop liftgate closes first then the swing gate.

What does this mean? On a CJ the lock is on the hardtop - on a YJ the lock is on the Tailgate, so you won't have a lock for your tailgate. You can get around this by locking your CJ's tailgate from the inside (just swing the tabs down), but you will have to climb over the rear seat every time you want to unlock it.

CJ7 Tailgate

cj_tailgate.jpg

YJ Tailgate

yj_tailgate.jpg

Early yj hardtops had locks like the cj tops. My top is the original top to my 87 and it has the same t handle and lock as a cj

Back