CJ7 Trans/transfer case

BamaJp

Anyone know where to start looking for problems related to the transmission and/or transfer case on an 83 CJ7. The trans is a T5 and transfer case is Dana 300.

I do not have power to the rear driveshaft. I can lock my front hubs and put the transfer case into 4wd and can drive, just cannot drive with only 2wd.

Was hoping to have an idea before having to pull the trans out.

Any help is appreciated.

if you can drive with the front, it sounds like a t-case problem

If your rear drive shaft is spinning when you power up in 2wd your problem is in the rear end. If not your transfer case is the place to look. You may only have a linkage problem if your lucky. Trans. is ok if it still pulls in 4wd.

steering box

If you should need replacents, gimme a shout
I have a t4 and a dana 300 for sale, along with a 4.2 liter 258

sounds like you may have spun a hub.
put the rear of the jeep on jack stands and try to wiggle the back tires. if its really worn, there will be plenty of slop and no doubt as to whether or not its spun. when i spun mine, i had the same problem that you have - the axle would turn inside the hub of the rear wheel.

Yes,
Check the rear hubs. They are seperate from the rear axles and are pressed on (sorta)

The idea Jeep enginners had was that under super stress, the Jeep would spin the axle in the hub saving you the axle/differential. It is a pain when it does spin, but you'll thank those bhoyz at Jeep while you do not have to tear the Diff apart or buy a set of axles.

>Set the parking brake

>Put it into 2X.

>Let out the clutch

>have a helper look under the truck and look at the rear driveline

>is it spinning ?

>Yes = Spun axle in Hub

>No = Xfer case problems

When you let out the clutch you shouylkd hear some strange noises as the axle spins and grinds itself against the insides of the hub.

IF IT IS THE HUBS >

I recently rebuilt my rear with all new bearings, races and seals and fresh hubs. I spent about $350 on the project. After I got it all together I got an
add in the mail from our friends at 4Wheel Parts Wholesale.

They have a solid axle upgrade for the Model 20 AMC rear diff complete with new bearings/races/seals and all for.....
$300.00 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So if thats what you wanna do......

there you go.....

OK,
Next question campers.
Why do DANA axles have grease lubed bearings while every axle in the truck world uses gear oil lubed axle wheel bearings?

Quickly now,
tick, tick,tick, tick...

This puzzled me for years N years.

BECAUSE,
When we is stepping over rocks N boulders & tree trunks N such at a snails pace, the ring gear does not spin fast enough to sling gear oil up into the axle tubes and as such the wheel bearings would become lube starved & sieze.

~hope this helps~

toyman said:
If your rear drive shaft is spinning when you power up in 2wd your problem is in the rear end. If not your transfer case is the place to look. You may only have a linkage problem if your lucky. Trans. is ok if it still pulls in 4wd.

I think it is in the transfer case. I tied a string around the drive shaft to see if it would spin...it did not. How much trouble is it to remove the rear yoke to check inside the case? I can spin the yoke without any trouble(rear drive shaft has been removed).

See if one of the cotter pins or another part of the shift linkage has fallen out. There are two shift rails on the Dana 300 controlled by one handle. It is rare that a 300 would have an internal malfunction and still operate the front but not rear. It has to be in the linkage.

Back