Class 3 Towing hitch question

jksponge

Our new Jeep Liberty is ordered with the Class 3 Heavy duty Trailer Hitch package. We'll be pulling an 20 ft, 3200 lb RV trailer from Coleman.
"Liberty’s Trailer Sway Control+ system helps reduce trailer sway and improves handling in adverse towing conditions caused by crosswinds and traffic. The available Trailer Tow Class III Group includes a Class III hitch receiver, Trailer Sway Control+ works with the Electronic Stability Control+ and the Antilock Brake System, alternating brake pressure to automatically correct oscillation that can be produced by the vehicle trailer system. Trailer Sway Control does not require any driver input. It automatically activates when needed. The Electronic Stability Control function lamp will flash when Trailer Sway Control is activated."

Your blurb says "weight distributing hitch not required, unless specified for a particular vehicle."

I find this a bit confusing. Does this mean I don't need a weight distrib and sway hitch added? Thanks!

If when the camper is hooked up if the back of the jeep back end sits down you will want the load leveler it makes a big difference in the handling of the vehicle while towing. What is the tow rating on the jeep I would think your at it's max with that camper.

Ya. I think you will really feel it. Safer to use a load equalizer hitch. Be careful with your tounge weight so you don't go over your payload max. Run a good trailer brake and keep overdrive off.

So you're saying that there's no way to tell, until they are hooked up? OK
Why no overdrive? There's a button on the console says tow/haul. I think it disables 4th gear. Wouldn't that greatly effect mileage?

Use tow haul.Towing in general will kill mileage lol. Some rpm will be your best friend especially with the v6. It will keep the engine in its power band and stop the trans from hunting. Overdrive also creates a ton of heat while under load. I know people will say its only 3200lbs but you have to take I to account wind drag. Hills. Etc. and the liberty trans is only light duty rated.

One more thing to keep in mind is you add a 1000-1500 lb. to the trailer with clothes, food, pots and pans etc. I've owned several campers and rule of thumb is buy a camper that's dry weight is 2000-2500 lb. less than your tow vehicles tow rating

Back