Clicking sound when on idle

yOozahOe519

I have a '97 Jeep Wrangler TJ that I purchased from the dealer last year. It just hit 96K last week. I've noticed that when Ifirst start the engine, I would hear some clicking maybe every 2-3 mins or so. I'm not sure if that's normal with the engine but I have no way of telling since this is the first Wrangler i've ever bought. I'm the second owner for this vehicle according to the CarFax documents. My jeep tends to stall out when first started. The RPM idle would drop below 1 and I would catch it by pressing on the clutch before it stalls out. Anybody have any ideas on why that is? I definitely want to keep this vehicle but i'm debating if I should try to fix it first or upgrade to a newer model and save the hassle in the future. Please advise. Thanks

First, Check your oil level. if its good, look at your Oil Pressure at start up, does it take just as long to go up as the ticking noise your hearing disappears?. if it is, it could be a worn lifter or a worn oil pump. in most cases, if the vehicle sits overnight, then at first start up you hear this ticking noise, it's considered normal granted that it goes away within a minute or two depending also on the temperature outside. If your worried about it and it's bothering you, get the Oil Pressure checked to see where the problem is or if there is even something to be concerned about.

My 97 ticks all the time,I know it is a bad lifter ,just not in the funds to rip apart the motor to replace a lifter yet.

Thanks..If or when I rip it apart,I will most likely check it all.Lifter,cam,rods,valves.

May just replace the engine..lol

155,000 on a 4 cylinder..Just not ready to do the V8 upgrade.

Have 168k on my 4 cyl. Looking around for a V8 though :). I have a bad lifter on my pickup and it makes the ticking noise on cold days. Does your ticking start and stop every 2-3 mins? Or does it happen in the first 2-3 mins.

Thanks for all the replies. yeah the clicks goes away when the engine's warmed up. My oil pressure would sometimes drop to a low level even though it's showing that i'm on a safe level according to my dipstick. I definitely need to get my jeep tuned-up. I'm not sure when the last time it was tuned-up since I bought it from a dealership. thanks again fellas!

Back