Clutch problems

LGR

I have an 88 YJ and the transmission was converted to the NV3550 from the BA10/5 awhile back. Used advanced adapters kits and such to make it all happen. The clutch slave cylinder is the external type. A centerforce I clutch plate and pressure plate were installed as well.

My problem is I have to pump the clutch in order for it to shift smoothly when the jeep is running. I've been dealing with it for a year now by pumping the clutch between shifts. It really only causes problems from 1st to 2nd and slightly from 2nd-3rd but I don't need to pump between.

Trans was rebuilt before it was installed. Slave has been bled many times with the same outcome. It was bled in my hand before installation and seemed fine before it went in. I've bled it with a helper under the jeep many times as well. Pulled it out last time and did it in my hand again. Still same thing. It all runs fine its just very annoying shifting.

Any ideas would be great. I have never tried to replace the slave itself because the one I put in was new out of the box.

Sounds like a master prob, the piston prob isn't building enough pressure to move the slave through its full stroke.

-James

Should be able to use just a stock replacement one, might want to check the line and replace if needed. And make sure you bleed it good.

-James

Slave and line are new. I'll give the replacement master a shot...It is an 88 and I sure never replaced. I bet there are some worn out seals.

Went out and got a replacement installed it this afternoon with even worse results to the clutch. I cannot get it into gear anymore even with pumping. There is definitely no air in the system. The system is so simple what could it be? I'm going to shoot advanced adapters an email to see if they can send me a replacement slave as its the only thing that hasn't been changed at this point. Is it possible the slave could be bad out of the box?

It is possible.... but I think that the master cal rod might be too short, or the clutch fork is bent or missing the pivot. Some reason your not getting enough throw to the release bearing, you've already done the hydraulic part, now time to check the mechanical end of things... if its not in the rod or pedal assembly you'll prob have to take the transmission out to check the fork / release bearing and possibly the pressure plate.

-James

Back