Coils in a YJ

jps4jeep

Super Moderator
I have beed thinking, and the 33" tires are getting old. I want more lift. I have about 4 3/4 suspension and tj flares. I will be installing a 1" bodylift and 1" motor lift and belly up skid this summer. This will allow for 35's with no rub, but I want to run 37's I have two basic options(one of them is NOT more BL)

Option 1. Take out my 4" springs, install 2.5" lift springs and perform a SOA. This will accually allow me to run 38" tires with. But the I am afraid the ride will ba a little harsh and then spring wrap comes into play.

Option 2. Use a black diamond or explorer procomp coil conversion lift. every where I look, they are said to allow 6" and run 34's with no rub. add in my other mods and I will be able to fit 37. Plus in the future I can always put in longer control arms and larger coils for more lift. But I have heard very little from these kits in recent years.
How much better will the approach angles be?
How is the ride?
Pro's and Con's?
How streetable?

Money is not a issue, I have the ability to safe money and wait for my mods (Thats why my jeep has been a work in progress for 5 years)

And I am aware of all the other issues to keep in mind, I have a sye, I can weld, and am not afraid to cut metal, and I have plans for bigger axles.

I just would like some feedback on the conversion!

Just a thought. Why not sell the YJ and buy a TJ? My thought on this is that the TJ was designed around the coil set up. Just my 2 cents.

If your thinking of doing a coil over kit you might want to take a look at Rock Krawler's kit as well. JP has a write up in there January issue on this kit.
Several of my Off roading buddies run this kit on there YJ's and love the ride. Since you all ready have a SYE kit all you would need is the longer drive shafts, brake lines and E-Brake extension kit.

Don't do it. Just as you have about a half a dozen options now with the leaf spring suspension, the coil kits will take away most of those options. Those kits allow 35" tire max with no options for more lift. Also way too expensive to justify the end results IMO.

The SOA with 2.5" lift springs is the way to go. The 2.5"+SOA will ride better than your current setup as the flatter springs ride smoother, and will flex more. Get a double military wrap spring if your worried about axlewrap, then build a springwrap bar if it's still an issue.

Whatever you do I'd suggest upgrading the axles at the same time, if you plan on doing that eventually. Otherwise you'll be duplicating a lot of your work later on when you install the axles.

RockKrawler has a 7" coil conversion which allows for 37" tires... but we're lookin at some serious modifications aside from it

I vote SOA with the 2.5" springs for the same reasons Bounty stated.

(one of them is NOT more BL)

Why does everyone hate body lifts so much? Is it just the look that you don't like?

re

Junkpile said:
Why does everyone hate body lifts so much? Is it just the look that you don't like?
I'm not against them, as I've used and installed a lot of them. It's excessively tall body lifts I recommend against, like 3" and 4". A tall body lift places too much leverage on the body bolt and the body. Then looks come second to safety.

I generally use and install 1" body lifts.

Paragon Monthly Ride Day 1

Scroll down this link to RE's Spring-over leaf. 1.5" lift SUA, 7" of lift in the SOA. Reverse eye for flex and ride quality. If I ever wanna go high, IMO this is the way on a YJ:
http://www.rubiconexpress.com/dynamic/mainpage.asp?folderid=772
image-missing.png

soa.... unless you want to chop and tube the body and turn it into a full awn rock crawler then you might want to consider a coilover suspersion.... otherwise... stay w/ leafs

I picked up the new Petersons 4wheel today and I saw adds for the new Rubicon Express YJ ling arm kit, but $2640 for 8" is a bit steep!

I would not sell my YJ just to start to build a TJ for a coil spring ride. I have millions of long hours and hundreds of home made mods that I would never trade. plus, not very cost efficient. sell my YJ for lets maybe say 6K, buy a decent TJ for 9K, no!

As for body lifts, I said I was going to install one, but for the same reason bounty stated, not a fan of anything over 2 inches.

If you read the side bar in JP about the rock crawler kit, they said that it was horrible on road, and I drive my jeep to the trail, not trailer it.

My current set up accually ride very nice. They are skyjacker soft ride springs.

But I was looking for feed back on the lift?
Does any one have this lift?

The Pro comp is a conversion to coil springs and the Black Diamond is a coil-over conversion like the rock buggies have.

I've only seen one Jeep with the pro Comp. I talked to the guy for a while and he said that after figuring out the install (apparently the instructions were marginal) he loves it. It looked pretty good, too.

Some guy posted pics of his YJ with the black diamond coilover on this site on one of those coil vs leaf/ tj vs yj vs cj threads. The flex was freakin awesome, but not much was said about the lift. I wish I had the time to find that, but the pic might be gone anyhow. Anybody remember that one???

Bounty__Hunter said:
The skyjacker softride lift, or the coil conversion?

If I have the Skyfacker lift already, why would I want feed back about it? JK Bounty.

Thanks TC. I will look for that thread, I must have missed that one.

Perhaps some more research is needed on my part. I might just custom fab up something!

Thanks all

Oil pressure falling

jps4jeep said:
If I have the Skyfacker lift already, why would I want feed back about it?
I dunno, maybe to see if anybody else is experiencing the same thing?

I had a skycrapper lift and the springs sagged real bad, but that was long ago. I think they've since addressed that problem. How are yours holding up?

I still vote SOA, great performance with the amount of lift you're looking for, while retaining streetability. Easier to fab too :p

I love the skyjacker lift. 10X better than the super lift I used to have. Very comfy ride, good flex. could be better with revolver shackles, but in good time. When I go to SOA, I will be looking for Scout axles to handdle the stress of 37", so I have plenty of time to plan out the mods. Probably next winter project, but i have to finish my hotrod first and make some room in the garage!

I have ridden with one of the Black Diamond YJ's as well as the Ultimate Adventure YJ that had coils. Both were very impressive on the trails. It made me want coils for sure.
You're definitely going to want some new axles for those 37's, especially if you are talking about 37" Breakers (Boggers). When boggers grab, they either go over or break something in the process. I believe the Scout axles will be borderline for handling that job, depending on how you drive it. 36 x 12.50 TSL's may be a better choice.
You didn't ask me all that though.
If you have the money, go for the coils. If not, spring it over and pull a leaf out of your current springs when you do the axle swap.

Back