course of action-engine advice needed

Sacredgroove

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Audio question...

ok, I have an 84 cj7 4.2 T5 that leaks oil at the rate of about 2 quarts a day. the engine has 186,000 on it and instead of spending even more time/money trying to plug all the leaks I am going to just drop in a new motor.
I want the howell TBI for sure. I have helped install/seen in it in action on a friends CJ and I believe it to be worth the cash. my main question is...would buying a shortblock, swapping in a 4.0 head and running howell tbi cause any compatibility issues? if anyone has a good writeup on a similar situation I would love to read it. I am also open to other suggestions. my goal is to improve idle/mpg/consistency and if I get a few more horses out of thats great too. ive thought about using the mopar MPI but I dont want to spend that much money on FI so thats out. thanks! Dave

RE: 249/242 swap

www.bustedjeep.com has got a good writeup on a 4.2 rebuild with a 4.0 head. On the last page they've a list of links that you might find very helpful. I didn't find any writeups dealing with the Howell kit, but I didn't look very hard, just Google it! Best of luck to you.

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Audio question...

It would be cheaper to just swap in a 4.0L, and it would have more power than the tbi 258 w/4.0l head. If you would prefer to stay with the 258, however, I don't think there would be any compatability issues with the parts you listed. For the price of the tbi 4.2L, I bet you could build a 4.6L stroker and have the best of both engines all in one plus a ton of power. It's really just a matter of how easy you want the swap to be.

Update Sept 16th 2005

I dont want to lose my low end torque with the 4.0. I am going to look into some stroker 4.6's though...i like that idea! Im trying to just make a nice simple swap over a weekend because I drive the CJ daily for work. maybe a stroked with the TBI might be the ticket...although come to think of it, that would be detrimental to my need for better mpg ;)

RE: Toyata making I car I like????

yeah kinda pricey huh? lol bad enough gas is $3 a gallon now I add another $4 a day in oil. I drive it alot; roughly 100 miles a day and it just pours out of it. back of valve cover(which ive attempted to fix twice with new valve cover,right stuff sealant etc...) rear main,front main and i suspect a little around the oil pan. my pcv system was backed up with blow-by and it sprung leaks everywhere with the pressure buildup. fixed the pcv but the leaks remained.

Back