Crinkle sound near radiator

yankinwaoz

1996 Jeep Cherokee.

I'm trying to figure out the source of a strange sound coming from the front of the engine. I can't tell it is the radiator fan, or the serpentine belt, or something the belt is on. But it is coming from somewhere in the area.

It sounds like a crinkleing sound. That is the best description I can come up with. It is a sound I've heard before, but I don't remember where. Could it have something to do with the coolant level? (which is full).

The fan is not hitting anything.
The serpentine belt is taut.

A friend of mine suggested that the fan clutch bearings are dying.

The sound starts right away, even when the motor is cold. So it is not temperature related. It doesn't seem to change pitch, or change depending on the speed of the motor.

Anyhow... I was hoping that the sound description might trigger someone's memory.

Thanks!

I would first remove the belt and spin each of the pulleys by hand. Look for a wobble and listen for that sound. This should either verify or rule out the pulleys producing the sound.

I had the same kind of sound out of another type of vehicle. It was the belt tensioner pulley bearing. Do as suggested above and remove the belt and check all of the pulleys.

Back