D30 retainer clip???

Jeepster05

Ok today I got started on changing out me front passenger side axle seal. I got the hub and everything off and then the axle slid right out. It's the shorter axle then theres the part that goes directly into the diff. should the axle have come out so easily or should there have been a retainer clip?? Also how complicated is the automatic locking hub mechanism in between the diff and hub?

it is supposed to come out that easily... it is secured in the hub rather than by a retainer clip like the rear is

Well i'm just goin by what the Haynes manual says. I was just thinkin that the guy before me took it out and didn't replace it.

The locking hub question is a good one for me to. Today as I was spinng a tire or two on the trail the on lookers let me know that the hubs did not seem to be locking up very well. I plan to remove clean and set build them asap and have never done this. How much of a job is it to open dlean and put back the manual hubs? tug

it isnt too har. there is a c-clip and a big o-ring clip on the end of the stub shaft just behind the locking indicator. once you get that off just dont losse any of the spring.they are under some tension and will "spring"out repack with grease and bolt back together. it anit too bad :D

Back