damn woodpecker again

Greencuke

i think that woodpecker is hiding in my cat converter. it makes this vibrating metalic sound like theres something bouncing around under there, im going to bring it to the car doctor tomorrow and have him diaginose it for me. If the cat does need to be replaced, is it better that i have him do it (and let him drain my college fund) or get one and putit in myself? [addsig]

if you're SURE its the cat, just keep driving it dude... its just making a noise, its not hurting anything except maybe emissions... save your money...

if you're not positive its the cat, climb under there and check things out. bring a screwdriver and tap things with the handle to see what rattles. this way if its NOT the cat you can fix it yourself...

[addsig]

Are you certain it is exhaust I had something similar it turned out to be a piece hitting the drive shaft

good luck[addsig]

I do not know where you live but if you live where you have inspections there you need the cat. If you do not need to be inspected any time soon find a small shop that will cut the cat out and replace it with a short joint of exaust tubeing then when you need to get an inspection later remember to put a new one on before the inspection. You will see a better gas milage, power, and sound. Just a thought. I run with no cat and a glasspack flow through muffler and love it like that. Sounds great and 10% more gas milage. Later Tug![addsig]

hit that cat with your hand. If you hear a rattle, the insides have come loose. before it clogs your muffler you need to do something. short fix is to gut it.[addsig]

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE>if you're SURE its the cat, just keep driving it dude... its just making a noise, its not hurting anything except maybe emissions... save your money...</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

and loss of power along with clogging the muffler creating a larger repair bill.[addsig]

As far as driving it Ding, don't forget that tell tale sign "rotten egg" smell. Also, as a volunteer Firefighter, the LAST thing you want to do is drive it. Heat builds up in there, and is a major cause for car fires
image-missing.png
[addsig]

thanx guys, ill block it tomorrow and do some tapping[addsig]

Noticed the same problem with mine....took the cat off (clamp bolts came off with PB blaster) and looked inside. Virtually hollow except for a softball size chunk of rock stuff. When I shook the cat it bounced around inside. For a fix I just hammered a piece of pipe through the "rock" until it all broke up and fell out...anyway I put it all back on and I really notice the difference, my jeep has more power and drives better than ever. I think what was wrong was the stuff in the cat blocked my muffler off and robbed my engine of power....my little 4 banger feels great now. People say "Oh the smell the smell" ...but I guess since my cat was no good anyway I never really notice a difference....[addsig]

If you cut the cat out, may as well take a little time and convert the ends of the straight pipe to bolt fittings.

Then you can swap out the new cat (when you get it) as needed. A lot of folks did this when travelling to countries overseas with leaded gas. Had to remove the cat then. If you leave a length of pipe attached to the

cat (move the forward fitting more upstream), then you may not have to remove the skid plate when swapping.

If you have an O2 sensor in the cat (TJ does, don't know about YJ) cut some threads in the side of the

straight pipe and insert the O2 sensor there. It'll keep the check engine light from annoying you. Of course,

unplugging the bulb does the same thing. <grin>

Cooper.

[addsig]

Back