dana 30/35 diff diffs.

tint_rookie

so the 87 yj has a 35 in the rear and a 30 in front? right?

so the retaining pin in the 30 is held in by a crush pin and in the 35 is a bolt right?

so why do i have a crush pin in my rear diff (sure as heck looks like a 35) on my 87 yj? and how the F do i get it out. the jeeps sitting at the shop so i cant post a pic. but i dont recall the 35 having a hole goin all the way through the carrier to push the roll pin out from one side? correct me if im wrong, please do.

i originally thought it was the bolt with a sheared of head. but after the mental picture in my head and the stuff ive found on the web. that aint no sheared off cheep arse hollow jeep bolt, its a g-damb roll pin in there.

what am i supposed to do now.

does anyone know if im gonna be able to push it through? im soo irked (can you tell)

i wont be near the shop till monday. gotta drive to town to pick up my locker. gonna be PIZZLED if i cant get it in.

any suggestions? (please save the swap the whole axle remarks)

Yes, 30 front and 35 rear. Sounds like both of yours have roll pins retaining the differential cross shafts. They switched to a bolt to retain the cross shaft in later D35's.

my yj is registered as an AMC still..... so it dosent surprise me.

ive came across so many discrepancies to the regular book listings for parts.

its more than frustrating.

so, after a few beers, and calm down time. if i cant push it through, ill bust out the right angle drill and hog that mo fo out.

ill take some pics, and submit a write up.... at least it will be a worst case scenario.

thats what i get for showin off.....

heres the story, as the ol lady is pretty sure i was screwin around when i broke the rear end.

so my window tint shop co habitates with a stereo shop. we have our pile of shame, crap equipment we tend to break when its time for a temper tantrum. i actually patiently took this amp apart. the case was made from some heavy duty alluminum. so in myth buster fashion, i bet i could park the jeep on it and it would hold the weight of the jeep. it held. and again in myth buster fashion, no ones happy till something explodes or breaks. how far do you think i can fling this thing? under the rear wheel it went. rev, dump, fling, clunk, ching ching, the amp cover landed a good 50 yards from where i busted 7 spider gear teeth.

thank golly, i sisnt have to drive more than 5 feet back into the shop after the intial boom. sombiotch locked up so hard the face and trim ring on my stereo flew off.

thats what i get, a new locking rear end (of course some swearing to come), so i guess it worked out for the better (in the long run).

im trying not to admit defeat.

maybe im an idiot.

but who designed the early dana 35's? was it supposed to be disposable like a SWATCH watch?

why would you use a roll pin to hold the keeper pin in, if there is no exit hole for it to push through for removal.

no its not a dana 30. heres some pics.

tooth fairy dont pay like she used to
tooth fairy.JPG

howmigonna get this bloody pin out?
see its a roll pin.JPG

Gas ax :shock:

I've got a '91 D35 carrier with 4.11 gears waiting for you to buy ;)

2" long and its out. it does go all the way through. amazing the power of the flashlight and a mirror.

locker goes in tommorow.

Back