Dana 35 front axle

Depends which year Explorer. 91-94 had a Twin Traction Beam (TTB) swingarm-type axle with a Dana 35 diff. It is a bolt-in swap to a 83-97 Ranger, all you need to do is shorten the driveshaft a little, and stronger than the Ranger Dana 28 or D28/35 hybrid axle.
The 95+ Explorer used an IFS setup called the Short Long Arm (SLA) which has wishbone control arms and halfshafts with CV joints and is not as strong as the TTB axle. It rides better but is much more expensive to lift.
A variety of gears and lockers are available for the early TTB D35, for the later SLA D35, not so much, to the consternation of late-model Explorer and Ranger owners everywhere.
If you're leading up to "Will it fit in a Jeep?" then no, probably not. You will get more flex and travel with a solid axle. Geometry is what it is.

I've owned and 'froaded a couple of Rangers and Sport Tracs and been a moderator at The Ranger Station - Your Ultimate Ranger Resource for almost 10 years.

No i know it will not fit a jeep but the 8.8 in the rear will.. we have had it in the family for about 16 years it has 300.000 miles on it and still running well.. the body is falling apart im gonna keep the rear axle and part the rest out... I don't know much about fords but i do chevys:) there is a lot of people on here that not only know about jeeps but ford and chevys too... but thanks for the help i think i will take it off put it off to the side for a bit....and thanks for the help..

Back