Dana 35 Issues

goldtj

Horrible sound coming from left rear on my way home from work Friday.Started ripping it down Saturday.Got up this morning and this was the end result.I'm sure many of you have had this issue before!

Attachments

• tn-8.jpeg
    tn-8.jpeg
    4.2 KB · Views: 471
  • tn-9.jpeg
    tn-9.jpeg
    3.9 KB · Views: 459
  • tn-10.jpeg
    tn-10.jpeg
    4.5 KB · Views: 451
If none of the metal chunks ruined the ring and pinion gear, just replace the spider gear set and you should be good to go. I commonly see those happen when on a hard turn and it starts loosing traction then bites hard.

The ring and pinion are fine,can't see any obvious damage there.I am waiting on a guy at the local 4WheelParts who has one he is parting out to get back with me.He is making me a sweet deal on some spider gears.I am now starting to realize why everyone hates this rearend.While everyone harps about the Dana 44,I have reservations about that one,also.I had a 1965 GMC truck with a Dana 44 sitting behind a 1972 Buick 350 engine and TH350 trans.I shelled out that rearend 3 different times.Perhaps the 4.0 Jeep doesn't produce enough power/torque to re-produce that issue,but I'm not sure I want to find out,either!Since this is my DD,for now I'm repairing the TURDY-5,but will procure and start building a 9"Ford or a Dana 60.Call it overkill,but I don't want to pump money into something I have past bad experiences with!

Back