Death Wobble

ryanhoerger

I have an 06 wrangler that I bought less than a year ago. There have been a few times I have hit a bump on interstate and the front end has started shaking uncontrollably. I does this until I slow down to almost a complete stop. I have down some research and found that this is a pretty common problem that even has a name "death wobble", but I can't find a real answer to the problem. It's a stock Jeep with less than 15,000 miles on it. Any help with this would be appreciated.

Check out http://www.jpmagazine.com/techarticles/29619_jeep_steering_system_problems/

Got it bookmarked since it's my next project. Drove a 2 mile section of King's River Road (local with several potholes) today and had DW 4 times.:x

At one point a police car tailed me but luckily didn't pull me over to inspect. Maybe it wasn't so noticeable from behind:lol:

And can someone point out the arrow in this link http://www.jpmagazine.com/techarticles/29619_jeep_steering_system_problems/photo_05.html

Maybe I'm just blind.

Last edited:
I would try a front end alignment first. You can often get a free alignment "check" at local garages.

It is common, but less so on a jeep as new as yours. You won't find one answer or solution as it varies and can be a combination of faulty/loose parts.

Have you not taken it in to the dealership for warranty work?

if it just started i would rotate the front tires to the back to eliminate a broken belt or other balance issue. if this doesnt pin point it to the tires the next in the chain would be the ist joint at the pitman arm and the same on the outer. cheap replacement costs and labor is easy. it just dominoes from part to part. common sense and a little game of elimination should get it. on my tj it was tires, on my sons xj it was the joint at the outer rod end. my daughters was all of the above !

?Can you see where a wheel weight came off a wheel? Did you whack a curb or something like that?

Could be an unbalanced tire/wheel as stated above. I always assume it is an alignment issue, since that has been my problem twice, That said, it could be several other things like BH mentioned. I think worn parts are pretty unlikely at 15K but who knows with todays workmanship on automobiles:?|

Back