Death wobble??

Hurtinalbertan

When I hit 50 mph, my 96 Xj gets ****ed off. She starts wobbling and buckin'... Feels like her front end is gunna fall out.
No aftermarket parts.
First started happening after a hard, muddy trail ride.
at first I thought there was mud stuck in the rims and it threw them out of balance.... But that's not the case.
Stabilizer bar, maybe?
Is this common?

Ya it common just replace the steering stabilizer and it should go away that what I had to do on mine

I have gone several rounds with this crap too. I had it happen on my zj before my lift and after but here is the solution.
1. Replace your front track bar with a heavy duty one.
2. Steering stabilizer shock. Its not a fix. Only temporary relief of symptoms as it will wear out fast due to the extra strain.
3. Replace all other bushings in the steering system.
I did all of this before my lift and all was good. Then i lifted 4" and it came back. After having someone follow me and watch i was told my tires wobbled a little. Turns out my wheel spacers were not compatible with my rims. Manufacturer remade them for me and she's been solid for over a year.
Good luck. Death wabble is a nightmare.

We all tend to fight it at one point. Here's the article I wrote on it:
http://www.jeepz.com/forum/suspension/29510-wrangler-death-wobble-what-causes-how-fix.html

I wouldn't start with the stabilizer, as that's not normally the cause (but will help mask it).

It's normally caused by a worn out bushing (namely the track bar, control arms, etc), but since yours happened all at once, I'd look at a few other things.

1. Try putting the front tires on the back. You may have bent a rim
  2. Check again for mud in your wheels, or a thrown wheel weight
  3. begin wiggling your parts, and go around with a torque wrench setting them to the proper specs
If that doesn't do it then go down the points in that article.

Back