Differential identification?

TorqueWinsRaces

How can I determine which diffs my '79 Wagoneer has? Apparently there are 2 choices- Dana 44 or Dana 60, correct? Which is more desirable? In particular I would like to know which rear-end it has because I am going to figure out a cheap disk brake conversion if one isn't readily available.

i cant post any pics because im at work and it blocks most filesharing/uploading sites, but i just google searched

dana 44 vs dana 60

and theres alot of hits out there.

seems like a visual inspection of the diff cover may let you know. im not positive on that though.

try this

Attachments

• Differentials.jpg
    Differentials.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 49,994
Wagoneer has either a D44 or AMC20HD rear axle. The D44 is more octogon shaped and the AMC20HD is big and round like a basketball. Front axle is a d44.

You don't find the D60 rear until you get into the 3/4T J-trucks like the J2000 and J20, or larger.

Thanks for the chart. I looked at the bolt pattern before posting this, but they both have the same pattern. The 60 is obviously much bigger/beefier.

Thank you Bounty Hunter.

Edit- Mine has the D44 in front and rear. Thanks again.

Oh, I also figured out the pinion angle thing from my other thread. Looks pretty simple- Just loosen the u-bolts and set the angle. Right?...well, re-tightening them would be good too...

Oh, I also figured out the pinion angle thing from my other thread. Looks pretty simple- Just loosen the u-bolts and set the angle. Right?...well, re-tightening them would be good too...

Wrong, you have to change the angle of the spring perch. You can cut and reweld the perches or use angled shims between the spring and spring perch.

Back