disconnect bypass on 88 yj

jakec

does anyone know what seal you need to put a tj longside axle in a yj disconnect dana 30? i have a 97 tj dana 30 for parts if it was high pinion id swap in the whole thing and it might not matter with only 3 in of lift. im worried about the driveshaft angle.

don't know the part number off the top of my head, but just use a TJ inner seal, should be fine.

Or simply remove the disconnect motor from the axle, slide the shift collar into the engaged position, and reinstall the disconnect upside down. It will then hold the axle locked at all times, easy peasy.

thanks for the help. i would just lock it all the time but i broke something so i have to pull it apart anyway.

and the zj grand cherokees with the d30 front axle are solid axles also because they were full time 4x4 on eh laredo models

yea i dont want to mess with those cv axles. i think im gonna cut all the tj brackets off the 97 d30 i have and put the whole axle assembly in my 88. thats also a got the bigger u joints than mine. its a low pinion but i dont think it will matter with only 3 inches of suspension lift.

im not sure whats broken yet i havent been able to get the unit bearings off to check. it broke going up a hill and i can hear something rattling around in there. it had the posi lock cable on it when i got it that does away with the vaccum connect motor. its def broke right at the disconnect though its not in the pumpkin.

The axleshafts are pretty beefy at the disconnect, it's rare that they brake. The shift fork however is pretty weak aluminum.

i think its the little sliding collar piece because like you said the axleshafts are decent there and i was in 4 wheel drive going up a hill, fell in a rut and when i goosed it to get out it snapped and the front tires stopped going.

i dont know for sure. it sounds like its in the longside of the axle though is the only reason i say that.

well i finally pulled my front end apart and nothing is broken. it looks like maybe the sliding collar wasnt engaging both axles all the way. the only thing that even looks close to being messed up is the very end of the collar it looks like it might have been slightly engaged and worked back till it spun off and gouged the splines just a little on the end. that was hopefully what was wrong. im putting in the tj axles anyways while im in there so it wont matter. i cant believe how small the sliding collar is doesnt look like enough splines to engage both axles enough to hold up against any kind of pressure.

Back