DIY Spray In Bedliner Questions

Crusader

For those of you who have sprayed the bedliner material in your Jeep (I am doing the compressor method), how should the surface be prepped? I know some folks have said to use Scotch Brite pads to "scuff it up," and prep it until you are think you're through and then do it again, but what should the final prepped surface look and feel like? Am I removing all the paint, down to bare metal? Or, is it just a matter of "scuffing" the painted surface, such that is does not feel slick or smooth? So far, I have sanded it with an orbital sander, removing what surface rust there is and in some places, down to bare metal. In lots of other areas, the paint remains. I plan on doing the final prepping with the Scotch Brite pads. Anyway, if you guys can give me a little more advice, I would appreciate it.

One more question--I bought an inexpensive undercoat gun (Astro Pneumatic brand) to apply the material with. The gun did not come with a canister to hold the material. I called the manufacturer and asked if they have a canister or know of something that would be the right diameter and thread pattern (say, maybe like a Gatorade quart bottle, or something), but they were zero help. Has anyone used this gun (I doubt it), or one similar, and if so, what did you use? I may just end up going to the grocery store, taking the gun with me, and eyeballing different jars to see if one is the right diameter, then buying whatever it is and seeing if the threads fit at home.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Back