do an engine conversion

Contra

I am getting ridr of the computer...

I wanna try to pick your brains for knowledge

I need to by-pass my park-nutral switch on my 97 2.5 so I am not sure what to jumper where

any help?

thanks in advance

How do you plan on getting rid of the computer!! especially the throttle body! what carb you going with????
I am just really wondering what the plan is?

and i know how easy it is to pass inspection in san antonio, if you drive to the south side of town but are you sure you want to remove the ecu? i am not sure this is a good idea

and I am not going carb, I am going throttle body

I plan on making it my offroad buggy
but I may convert completely to propane

I kinda get the feeling most people don't know what throttle body is so let me explain...
it has nothing to do with a computer at all, multi-port has a throttle body as well, but that isn't called throttle body injection, it is called multi-port injection to differentiate the systems from one another

a throttle body setup has no computer (as we know it, in the early years)
it is mearly ran off the coolant temp sensor to know how much the lean the fuel/air mixture, it uses an electric fuel pump, and has (usually) 2 injectors that shoot into a bowl, (but they do have some that use just 1)
but not too much more like the current setup we enjoy today

I would really like to see a injection system with no ecu. I've had many throttle body injected rigs and all have an ecu. Except for an old hilborn mechanical system. Got any links on this.

And I think you would still need an ecu of some sort to convert the temp sensor and throttle position info to drive the injectors at the correct pulse width.

And I think you would still need an ecu of some sort to convert the temp sensor and throttle position info to drive the injectors at the correct pulse width.

nope your wrong... but when I get home from work I will post up more detailed pics of my engine for you

did you not see the link to my build?

It Has Started

The ecu on the Chevys is right to the right of the throttle body I've swapped many tbi 350s they are very simple to wire but still use an ecu. Make sure your fuel pump has no more than 15 psi or it will destroy the regulator. All gm tbi motors use a speed density injection system

Build looks good though. It will feel good to have a chevy in there. I'm doing a small block swap in my xj. Can't wait.

Well I understand how throttle body works..
If we were able to totally get rid of the computer! this would be happening on a daily basis. I admitt you can limit the need for it but it is not able to be removed completely.
The injectors need some kind of small electrical impulse to squirt. So unless you are modifying with a different kind of impulse! I am not seeing how you are going to make this work!
Propane is a good offroad option but it replaces the throttle body!

and if you went to mechanical fuel injection so you could remove the ecu, you are going so far backwards in fuel control systems that its not even funny.

if you want to do something out of hte ordinary and make it all so you can control it, megasquirt it

http://www.megasquirt.info/

and here is where i got my kit for that i put on my bmw for a while.

http://www.diyautotune.com/?gclid=CISCrvG4hqcCFQ687QodzDDufA

Yup. But take it from me. Mega squirt ain't for the faint of heart. There is alot of engineering on your end to get it working to it's full potential.

For those debating if you need an ECU for fuel injection, keep in mind fuel injection has been around since before WWII (WAAAAAY before computers!). Now, of course the computer controlled ones are more efficient, but you CAN get around the ECU (tecnically possible). Of course, I agree with most that I would not go in that direction, but that's a whole other issue.

I'm not debating that. Im just saying a RBI chevy requires a ecu to run.

well, I may just go propane and be done with it

I have a pressure regulator and I plan to drop it to between 12~15 PSI

That's perfect. Propane would be cool. It's cheap to. And higher octane.

Yes! fuel injection has been around a long time!!! But not the same fuel injection system we have today! The computer is what made this a good and efficient setup.. Prior to that it was worse than carbs.
A today fuel injection system can not ne compared to a early fuel injection system!
We would all be pulling our computers and I would have been running fuel injection on the jeeps 30 years ago!
Personally I would rather have fuel injection than propane!
The propane system works good! Gas is cheeper were I am and you can grab a gas can off your budys rig and refill! Just me though!
Good luck!

Back