Do I Have The Tow Package?

Jeeper89

i have an 88 cherokee larado and have the 2" square recever in the rear and was wondering if this mean i have the tow package?or do all jeeps have it and the tow package is made up of more than just the recever, the main reason i want to know is that pre-91 cherokees that had the tow package had the D44 in rear, if i am wrong about the D44 or the tow package is made up of more than that what else do i need to look for? p yea its the larado trim too
thanks,
stubby

Jeep had many trailer towing packages, depending on the year, and the rating of the package. Also wether the Jeep was special order or off the lot, also the destination and sometimes what they had available when théy built the Jeep.
Usually was anything from a trailer light pig tail (trailer connections), to a larger battery and/or alternator.

There was a strike in Canada in the mid 90´s a whole lot of Jeeps got built with the Chrysler rear end. Some got built with whatever was handy. They were trying to keep the assembly line going. Hard to tell, sometimes, what you are gonny find in there. Cross over years are always fun, sometimes it´s half of one, half of another. The order cataloge is pretty thick, with a bunch of annexes. Probably take days to figure out all the possibilities and combinations.

So some XJ's did get a 44 rear end? God Id love one, my d30 and 35 work just fine though.

In addition to the hitch, the towing package consists of a circuit breaker and complete wiring harness for the trailer lights and power brakes.

My Cherokee has the towing package, but only the D35c rear end :roll:

-Nick :!:

Ah, the palate of the soft top

I´ve worn out a few D35`s, never managed to break one though. Never had any larger than 31 inch tires (on my YJ) and tried to avoid beating up my machinery more than necessary. Seemed to break enough, without forceing the issue too much.
I did break a 8.25, over compressed the suspension and smashed the collapsible bushing. The pinion kinda just flopped around in there, wasn´t real hard to repair though, didn´t chip any gears.

my advice.. do the same thing i did... hit the jeep site and email them your vin # - they can email you a list of exactly what options your jeep came with from the factory.. the hitch may be aftermarket add-on too....

thanks for all of the help, phew i didnt realize how man combos the XJ's had back then, well i'll just copy the vin# and e-mail it to them and find out and thanks again for all of the help

Early XJ's came with the D44 if they had the tow package, sometime around '87 to '89. You'll just have to find a pic of one and see if it matches yours. The 44 is more squared off at the diff cover than the D35. These axles also came in the MJ that had the metric ton package.

We had a '98 that had the tow package, factory receiver, trailer wiring, 8.25 rear axle, and aux. transmission cooler.

They stopped using the 8.25" in '99 or '00 and started installing the D35 in tow packages :roll:

XJ's with the towing package have transmission coolers...

Back