"Dogtracking" and wheel alignment

billgin

I have this slightly paranoic feeling that my YJ is "dogtracking". I don't know what else it is called, but it means when the vehicle isn't tracking perfectly straight down the road, but seems to be slightly off-parallel to the direction in which you are moving. My mechanic says that this is common to Jeeps, due to the effects of wide tires/wheels, lifts, solid axles front and rear, etc. and even a 4-wheel alignment won't fix this. He says you just gotta live with it, but it's damned frustrating. Anybody else have this problem, and possible fixes? Thanx.[addsig]

my first question for you would be do you have any oversized tires or a lift on your jeep? my jeep doesn't 'dogtrack'...

secondly, has your jeep been in any accidents... which could bend the frame?

lastly, how old is your suspension and has it been exposed to any impacts which may have bent some of the suspension components?[addsig]

i have a 91 yj with 4" procomp, 2" of shackels, and 31's and it has the same type of thing, its really slight, just cant take both hands off the wheel for to long...guess you just gota live with it, i had it alligned and it still didnt fix it...ohh well, small price to pay for driving a jeep[addsig]

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE>I have this slightly paranoic feeling that my YJ is "dogtracking". I don't know what else it is called, but it means when the vehicle isn't tracking perfectly straight down the road, but seems to be slightly off-parallel to the direction in which you are moving. My mechanic says that this is common to Jeeps, due to the effects of wide tires/wheels, lifts, solid axles front and rear, etc. and even a 4-wheel alignment won't fix this. He says you just gotta live with it, but it's damned frustrating. Anybody else have this problem, and possible fixes? Thanx.</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

If it feels like it is dogtracking, it probably is. Have a reputable alignment shop put it up on the rack and read it out (All 4 wheels). The only adjustment that can be made is front toe, but at least with the read out you will know what you're dealing with. If both rear wheels are toe'd to one side (one positive toe and one negative toe, you either have a bent frame, bent leaf spring mounts or bad leaf springs themselves.

However, if the thrust angle (where the rear wheels are pointing) is within spec, it should be just a front "toe n' go" as we call it in the alignment business. Good luck and let me know how it turns out.[addsig]

Thanks for responses. My YJ has 31 inchers, no lift. Backed into a tree once at walking speed (has any offroad Jeep not had an "accident" at some point?!). Front springs seem to be sagging a bit, otherwise okay. Just had a front end alignment done; mechanic said it was fine. Any way to tell if frame is bent short of putting it on a frame straightener? Thinking of having springs re-arched in the spring; maybe that's the time to investigate this further - guess I can live with the dogtracking until then. Thanks again.[addsig]

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE>Thanks for responses. My YJ has 31 inchers, no lift. Backed into a tree once at walking speed (has any offroad Jeep not had an "accident" at some point?!). Front springs seem to be sagging a bit, otherwise okay. Just had a front end alignment done; mechanic said it was fine. Any way to tell if frame is bent short of putting it on a frame straightener? Thinking of having springs re-arched in the spring; maybe that's the time to investigate this further - guess I can live with the dogtracking until then. Thanks again.</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

Ok, but did you receive the print out from the alignment? Good shops will always at the very least go over the pre-alignment and post alignment readouts to show you what was done. I always include the printout with the workorder/receipt. That being said, and if you did get the printout, was the thrust angle in spec?

Many alignment people will *tell* you everything is fine because they don't want to deal with major hassles i.e. Ford Explorer Caster/Camber shims.... Don't just take his word for it... Just tryin' to help.[addsig]

I´m old as dirt, but sometimes the old ways work best. Get a plum bob, find the same spot on all four corners. The fixed end of the spring works well, at the bolt end and mark the floor with a crayon. Then from the spring pad at the same place front and rear. then measure from corner to corner (big X) shouldn´t be out any more than about an eighth of an inch. Have to take your time and be exact in your markings and measurements. The spot where you park should be level or as close as possible. If you get a bad measurement try another spot. I´ve seen springs slip, bind and cause bad traking of a couple of inches. It´s possible for the springs to slip at an angle a bit. Loosening the U-bolts one axle at a time will often help everything to center back up again. But really hard to turn U-bolts should be replaced as they stretch.

[addsig]

Hey "Mud'r",good tip.I think I shall do that today(just changed springs and I'm affraid I have a align' problem)Thanks,BC
image-missing.png
[addsig]

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE> I´m old as dirt, but sometimes the old ways work best. Get a plum bob, find the same spot on all four corners. The fixed end of the spring works well, at the bolt end and mark the floor with a crayon. Then from the spring pad at the same place front and rear. then measure from corner to corner (big X) shouldn´t be out any more than about an eighth of an inch. Have to take your time and be exact in your markings and measurements. The spot where you park should be level or as close as possible. If you get a bad measurement try another spot. I´ve seen springs slip, bind and cause bad traking of a couple of inches. It´s possible for the springs to slip at an angle a bit. Loosening the U-bolts one axle at a time will often help everything to center back up again. But really hard to turn U-bolts should be replaced as they stretch.

</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

That's an excellent idea, but the rub is that like you said, the ground has to be very level to get accurate readings. That's why we spend hours, sometimes days leveling a four-post alignment rack.

Also, if you do use Chuck's good idea and find that the frame is fine, you still have a problem to chase down. I suppose that once you measure and find that your frame is square, you could use points on the frame to check if your spring mounts etc. are true and square. [addsig]

Back