driving soft top without rear windows

Crazy4diesels

Hi all,

OK... I've been doing this since the Jeep was new and I think it might be a bad idea... Has anyone damaged their top by driving without the rear windows? I'm thinking it puts a lot of stress on the rear corners. I like to leave the windows out for the early spring and late fall (summer is bikini top weather and winter is, well... we know what winter is). Does anyone else do this a lot? Thanks guys - John

Highway driving is not good, city driving under 40mph wouldn't do anything to it. I just take the rear windows off and the leave the side windows on to keep the channels from getting stressed on the corners.

I've never seen damage by driving without the rear windows, and appears strong enough to me to handle highway speeds. I do it all the time in my YJ and it's a weaker top design than the TJ.

I drive with my windows out all the time and never had any issues with stress on the back soft top sails at all. My TJ has the fabric material and my CJ has the vinyl like material. Never had issues with either one. Since my CJ doesn't have air conditioning I never bother to zip the windows back in until Fall.

Mmm? maybe it's got something to do with how much tension is on the rear bow stretcher. A/C? what's that? . Jeeps are like people. You get hot, take some materials off your body. Cold? bad time for a date.:D

A/C? what's that? . Jeeps are like people. You get hot, take some materials off your body.:D

A/C = All clothes; if you take things off when you are hot here in Miami (100 degree, 90+ humidity), you would end up driving BUCK NAKED every day year round (now I am SURE that is worth getting a ticket for!! LOL!!!)

I know someo ne that takes out the rear windows all they do is take the rear corners out of the channel and bungee cord them to the roll bar..Not sure if that is any better ,but that is what they do.

Guys I seriously have a T-shirt that says "JEEP NAKED". I'll have to post pics.:lol:

A/C = All clothes; if you take things off when you are hot here in Miami (100 degree, 90+ humidity), you would end up driving BUCK NAKED every day year round (now I am SURE that is worth getting a ticket for!! LOL!!!)
Gotta be tough to stay dry down there as well?

Well, today, for example, (and it rained!) it is 84* with 88% humidity... I'm telling you, it feels HOT! And with an average precipitation of 5" more or less, yes, it is difficult to stay dry!

Thanks guys for the replies... Highway speeds are what bother me BUT, as Bounty Hunter said, I see no damage (yet). Luckily, I don't do much highway driving (my commute is 26 miles of mostly 40 MPH roads). I've seen the bungee cord method - I might give this a try. Bikini weather should be here soon!!

Oh, A/C??? Funny, I looked for a Jeep with no A/C and had to take one that had it. I've never had A/C before since it complicates servicing (I like to keep things simple). I tried the A/C a couple of times when the Jeep was new and have not used it since - Topless/Doorless is just way too much fun;). Thanks guys - John

I go without windows and top up all the time, but now that you mention it I do have a problem with the sails coming loose when I try to do the partial top back (just back off front seats/ where rest is stil up) they tend to get lose and flap around.....

But I've also had an accident and have replacement top, so figured it was that.

I run all time with no windows on my ’79 CJ7. I have not noticed any issues on the top. I run that way year round here in CA.

Back