Drove home on low battery voltage, now won't run

pdxjeep

Hello, I'm looking for help with my 1989 Cherokee 4x4 with a 4.0 six and 5-speed transmission. Rig only has 145K Miles. Here's the deal...

The Alternator quit charging on a trip down south. So I bought a new heavy duty "RV" battery* to make the trip home on. Which was about 80 freeway/hi-way miles...
I drove with nothing on and used nothing electrical. No air, stero, nothing. But hit a traffic jam and sat in traffic for awhile. After 40 miles the engine started running ruff and wanted to die. I had to run it in 3rd gear at about 4100 RPM to keep it running. By the time I got home it was really running poorly. Just made it in the driveway.
Checked the battery and it was drianed. So I did a slow 3 amp charge on it and it was charged up the next day...
But's , here's the problem-
It's super hard to start...
Once the engine (4.0 six) gets going it, it's like running on one or two cylinders. LIke it's flooded. Once it "catches" it will run up to 3000 RPM all on it's own, tap the gas pedal and the RPM's drop to a idle and it's seems like it's cleared it's selfout and All is well.
But, I can't give it any gas or it will die...
Try to put it in gear (under a load) and the RPM's go down, it's runs very ruff and want's to die. Which it does and then won't restart.
If it does restart, it starts the same thing all over again.

So my question is this-

By running/driving with low battery voltage did I damage something ?
What part is it that I messed up ?

Any help would be appreciated, as I'm down on $$$ and can't afford to take it into a shop right now.

Thanks in advance... "pdxjeep" in Portland, Oregon

*size 34XT with 795 Cold cranking amps & handmade 1.0 gauge - & + battery cables. Yes, ALL the cable ends were soldered on.

Did you replace the alternator?
A new battery can be killed without an alternator.
Pull both the battery and alternator, take them in and have them tested!

Start with replacing the alternator for sure. Then, AFTER the alternator is replaced or rebuilt, take the battery somewhere and have it tested. Even if it's showing full voltage, it doesn't mean it's any good.

UPDATE-

Yes, it goes with out saying, that once I got home. I recharged the Battery and installed a upgraded Alternator. I installed a 100 amp unit.
And yes, I made sure the battery was fully charged, before starting the Jeep up. Didn't want the alternator running a full out charge right off the bat...

Well it turns out it was a fuel problem!! The gas tank had a yellowish / light brown goo in it. And the upper fuel pump hose in the tank and rubber gaskets holding the fuel pump to the mounting bracket were being "eat'n" by something...

Flushed the tank. Found a use fuel pump. Changed ALL the hoses and fuel filter...

Runs great now...

Just thought I'd share...

Last edited:
Back