drum brakes help needed

kreatos909

hello, everyone. i recently changed out my drums and shoes in the back. and put on a new wheel cylinder. well it rubs cause i can hear it , but as soon as i push on the brake pedal it stops for a while, i replaced the shoes correctly, the smaller one towards the front and the longer one in the back. could it be my internal springs that need to be replaced?, everything is 9inch, got everything from bennet auto supply. i've taken them off and put them back on like 5 times already, i really need some assistance

I haven't done drums in awhile and not on a jeep so I'm not the expert.
But maybe I can shed some light. Is the rubbing coming from one side or both? I am assuming you have bled the brakes since replacing the cylinder. Did you adjust them manually and then brake in reverse a few times since I believe they are self adjusting? There should be a few flat spots on the backing plate where the shoe rides and they should not have grooves worn in them. I used to put some lube on them to facilitate movement. Could your drum be out of round? I'm sure the guys who have done this many times will be more specific and address your issue!

yes i bled the wheel cyclinders. could it be that the pad is to wide. its only rubbing on the inside of yhe drum. and yes it is completely round

did you compare the shoes you took off with your new shoes? its possible its too wide because there are two different width kits for cherokees. tow package and non tow package with one being like 1/4 wider then the other. if i remember right, form when i bought my new brake stuff a couple months ago. that was the only odd question the parts guy asked me

Wrong size would be my first guess, I know they offered like 4 different size shoes for mine when I replaced them 2 weeks ago, also you may have to just back them off a little bit with the adjustment screw inside the backplate.

well thanks everyone. the culprit was the part of the adjuster that adjusts the brakes over time. so i just took it off seeing as how i need a new drum again anyway. does that part really matter. or will it just wear the shoes quicker?

well thanks everyone. the culprit was the part of the adjuster that adjusts the brakes over time. so i just took it off seeing as how i need a new drum again anyway. does that part really matter. or will it just wear the shoes quicker?

Is is the star wheel? Or is it the arm that engages the star wheel?
I guess it really doesn't really matter!
You must have both in order to have properly functioning rear brakes!

I was going to suggest a washer bewteen the drum and hub to space it out a bit and see if the noise went away. Sounds like the adjuster shoe dropped and chewed up the drum though.

Back