E85 burning Hybrid YJ 4.0 HO Stroker

Greetings all,

I'm basically a newbie here so please forgive me if I sound naive. What I am about to propose may sound crazy but I've always been a few beers short of a six pack anyway :crazy: I've searched the threads here and found a few on the subject, but most are pretty old and the information doesn't match with current knowledge regarding E85 fuel. So here goes...

I have a 95 YJ (actually made in early 96) 4.0 H0 which I am planning to stroke. Here are the numbers:

Jeep 4.2L 3.895" stroke crank
Jeep 4.0L 6.125" rods
Custom 4.0" bore pistons with 1.38" pin height & 23cc dish
10.0:1 CR
CompCams #68-235-4 210/218 degree camshaft
Ported big valve 2.02"/1.60" cylinder head
Mill block deck 0.020"
Mopar/Victor 0.043" head gasket
0.051" quench height
Flometrics F&B 68mm billet TB
Accel 26lb/hr injectors with adjustable FPR or MAP adjuster for '87-'95 engines, Accel 26lb/hr injectors with stock 49psi FPR for '96 and later engines.
284hp @ 4900rpm, 345lbft @ 3600rpm

What's more, I am also planning to make the vehicle flex-fuel by adding a conversion kit (there are several very good conversions kits available these days) so that I can run E85 most of the time (which is why I am going for a higher CR on this build to take advantage of the higher octane of E85). I know that all cars made after like 92 are Ethanol capable (in terms of fuel line, components, etc), and I know that Ethanol has less energy than gas and my mileage may suffer a little, but getting off the Dino juice is worth it to me, and besides I am a student at UTI studying Auto Tech (specifically Hybrid technology and alternative fuels) so this is like a project for me as well.

The rig will be a daily driver, with some off road time thrown in (about 75% street / 25% Off Road). I 'm running stock gears with a 2.5 inch suspension lift, 1 inch body lift, and 1 inch shackle lift with a stock Auto Transmission, all rolling on 32's.

And finally ( and this is where it really gets weird :MDB2:!) I want to experiment with using HH0 gas (otherwise known as hydrogen from water via electrolysis) as a supplemental fuel to help increase the mileage. Now, I know from my research here that many think it is a total waste of money and time. But I have been in touch with two different developers, Bob Volk from HHO Kits,HHO Generators,Hydrogen Generators,,HHO Gas,Fuel Savers,Gas Conversion Kits and Ronn Maxwell from Welcome to Ronn Motor Company who built the worlds first 200mph hydrogen assisted supercar which is capable of getting 40mpg, and both of them have been having alot of success with their products and already have patented products on the market.

So what I'd like to get is some feedback from some of the older hands around here as to what I would need to tie it all together, and just your opinion in general. For example, do you think I need a knock sensor and / or programmable computer to manage all of this? What else do you think I need (besides a psychiatrist)?

Any and all answers are appreciated!

I'm pretty sure '96+ fuel pressure regulators are in the tank and not compatible with '91-'95 FPR's on the fuel rail. There's a member on 4Banger's United making an adjustable FPR for under $100, it's what I run.

Sounds like a cool project, may I be a devils advocate and ask some questions..

I also want to preface this by saying, you can't buy E85 up here in the north east for some reason, only a couple stations carry it in New England..

But what is the E85 "kit" cost? was there any consideration to running the stroker with an offenhouser (sp) 4bble intake and converting a small truck avenger carb to E85? might be cheaper and easier to tune.

Good luck, keep us up to date

Back