Egr Valve Help!!

mikeyost

i have a 88 Jeep cherokee 4.0L inline 6 and i cant figure out this EGR Valve Vacuum transducer, it has a total of 3 hoses connecting to it. one on the left and right, and one at the bottom. the hose that connects to the bottom of the EGR Valve Vacuum transducer is melting the connection i included some pictures.

this is causing my engine to surge while holding the accelerator steady. it runs okay cold, but once it warms up it surges like crazy, it idles great but once the rpm is in the 2000 its surges

i`m really stumped on this one, i have tried the following
new fuel pump
fuel injection
plugs,
rotor

any input would be great thanks

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    56.7 KB · Views: 365
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 332
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 404

wow thats a stumper. how hot is your exhast getting. (EGR valve = exhaust gas recurculation valve, but you probably already knew that.)

i'm thinking your egr is "sticking" causing excessive heat to wick up the steel vac line to the stansducer?
its the only thing i can think of.
good luck

warpedredneck, are you saying the actual EGR valve is sticking not the transducer? maybe i'll take the "EGR" valve out and play around with it, that will require me replace the gasket that sits around it, should only be $2
anybody have any other thoughts?

I "believe" that the EGR valve will actually get build up in it, causing it to stick. They generally aren't too expensive to grab one down the street at the local shop. I think that you can actually clean them out as well (not 100% sure on that one). I used to have a little ford ranger that went through them like crazy. About once a year it would happen.

Back