Electric Fans

Did you install the electric fan or did it come with your Jeep?
I installed

Did you remove the stock fan, clutch and shroud?
Removed all

If so was there any noticable power difference or noise?
You can hear the fan cycle, and yes there is a power increase, but in reality that’s probably because I want to feel it. We’d need to put her on a dyno to really know just how many hp’s were gained. The company claims around 17

Is the new electric fan hooked up to a thermostat for automatic on and off?
The kit comes with a thermo and is all auto. I will wire the manual switch later for better control.

Is your electric fan a puller mounted between the radiator and the motor?
Puller and just fits between the pump and the rad with ¼” to spare (whew)

Are you using a fan shroud?
The kit comes with a very impressive shroud and mount kit.

If you had to do it over would you spend the money?
It was my first mod. Yes absolutely. I like the idea of helping the engine cool down after the key is off. Mechanical fans cannot do that and there is no arguing that getting the heavy mech fan off the pump is better for the engine.
[addsig]

I don't know if I would make that change.
Two years ago at HDR (High Desert Roundup) My partner showed up with his locked and loaded TJ. He arrived late and with the first run eariler that expected there was no time to remove his hard top. It was hot and we ran the whole day, (I admit) with the air conditioning on. Although some Jeepers would cringe, I was impressed. (And not to mention comfortable)
This 4.0 automatic ran without breaking a sweat. The temp gauge ran at 200 all day, A/C on, without ever moving. I don't know if you can or would wan't to try improving on that.[addsig]

Bluebelle:
This afternoon I talked to several Jeepers that have also made the electrical fan change. With their info and your glowing report, it's time to take the plunge.
Parts are on the way.
Thanks. Morgster [addsig]

I run an electric fan on my '95 2.5L YJ with no problems. I use a parts-store 16" reversible fan for $60 :-D [addsig]

how hard is it to remove the mechanical fan, shroud, and clutch? do you have to remove the radiator to get them out?[addsig]

From the XJ engine compartments I've seen, you've got a LOT tighter fit behind the radiator than my 2.5L YJ. You may have to move quite a bit to get the fan and shroud out.

Most 4.0L XJ's I've seen like to run hot, so I'd only do it on one of those if the cooling system was in top working order.[addsig]

The reason I changed to electric, is after being starter for the local mud races for ten years. I noticed that every time a fan got in the mud or water the engine RPM´s fell of radically. Also the mechanical fan would throw mud all over the top of the motor, while the engines with electric fan (on-off switch), usually kept the mud on the lower half of the motor. Making it alot easier to repair and /or find problems (igniton etc.).
The electric fans are kind of pricey, but in the long run, if your often in the deep stuff, they pay.
I found an aluminum body and blade fan, out of an 80-90 model BMW at the junk yard, used on the AC models. A two speed fan (pusher) that has supplied sufficent air for a V-8 and is more than enough for a six. I´ve replaced the bearings once, the fan has been running for 10 years (mud, water, rain snow and whatnot).
For years I kept the mechanical stuffed in a corner of my Jeep, just in case, but it has sense been retired to a corner of the garage (probably never to be seen again).
The only drawbacks I can see to the electric, is they are noisey and maybe if your alternator fails, they will quickly drain the battery.[addsig]

Great topic matter. It just seems to be a no brainer and the back and forth views are all well put. If it will give me a bit more HP in my littel 2.5L I am all for it. I am going to call around for a good price asap to get this mod placed into action will let you all know what it changes if anything. Tug[addsig]

Dingus:
On a YJ
There are four nuts to remove the clutch and fan.
Replacing the nuts holds the pully in place.
There are four bolts that hold the fan shroud.
That's it........... 5 minute job.
This can all be done without removing the radiator or hoses.

:cool: [addsig]

Tug:
I purchased the Flex-a-Lite Wrangler2 (#475)
Designed for the YJ with all parts included.
From summitracing.com (800)230-3030
$199.00 plus $7.95 handling, no shipping, no tax

Retail in Q-tec is $259.95 plus $23.99 S&H

It's going on tomorrow. We shall see :cool: [addsig]

Tug and Morgster. Check this out. Flex-a-lite from Summit Racing (best mail retailer from my experience) sells BOTH the Wrangler fan and the Black Magic fan. BOTH will fit the Wrangler but the Magic pulls much more air for about the same price. I had both fans on my kitchen counter at the same time to compare.

The Wrangler fan is an entirely different bolt-on unit designed for those that are less mechanically proficient - a much broader bolt-on market out there. It has 'special brackets' that allow the unit to be directly installed to the rad frame. The Magic has a universal mount but no big deal to rig.

Although the Magic is a larger unit, it still fit behind my rad (1/4 inch clearance) I used bolts rather than stud/nuts that are stock to increase the clearance.

If you're going to the expense and trouble (mostly expense $$$) go for the 2200 cfm Magic. The differences are well presented on the Flex-a-lite web page.
[addsig]

Tug, you won't 'feel' the power improvement from adding an electric fan, but with the 4banger, every little bit helps, right :-D I figure it's the entire package of parts that makes the 4banger more powerful and more fun to drive :-O

edited by: Bounty__Hunter, Mar 16, 2003 - 02:17 AM[addsig]

summit is where i saw the other flex a lite fan i plan on getting :evil: [addsig]

Bluebelle:
You have raised more questions, For me, I will solve Monday with a call to Flex-a -Lite tech dept.
I see the difference between the #475 Wrangler direct bolt in and the #150 Black Magic.

Thinner by about 1/2 inch on the Wrangler 475.
Same height and width 18 x 16.
770 more cfm's on the Black Magic 150.
Less amp draw on the Wrangler 475.
Installation, that's what tools are for. (l.o.l.)
Faster rpm Wrangler 475, Slower on the Black Magic 150.
Shallower angle, more blades Wrangler 475, Less noise?
Same price for both. (I went shopping)

I am going to ask for these answers Monday.
My question to Flex-a Lite is. Why did you use a fan with these different stats for a direct fit on the Wrangler?
SIze? Why less cfm's? Amp draw? Noise?
If there's a reason, They should know.

Thanks for the input.
:cool: [addsig]

Update:
I have posted this around to see what input I get from fellow Jeepers.

I have tech questions for fellow Rock Crawling Jeepers with Actual, First Hand Knowledge regarding use of electric fans replacing stock clutch style fans.

Flex-a-Lite sells two different models that appear acceptable for use on Wrangler YJ’s 4.2 and 4.0 while replacing stock parts. Added power? Gas mileage? Cooling?

Facts:
*Model #475 Wrangler fan 2
This fan is shown as a direct bolt in unit with 10 blades, 9 amps draw and 2030cfm.
Adjustable thermostat and a/c relay.

*Model #150 Black Magic is similar in size, needs minor bracket customizing to install,
has 8 blades, 13.9 amps draw, and 2800cfm Adjustable thermostat and a/c relay.

Questions:
*What is the difference in 10 shallow blades vs. 8 steeper blades?
*Was there any noise difference between those 10 blades vs. 8 blades?
*Is the difference between 9 amps and 13.9 amps draw enough to cause problems?
*Will 2030 cfm be enough to properly cool vs. 2800 cfm?
*Or is 2800 cfm too much to pull through that radiator efficiently?

*Who out there is using these products?
*What do you think?
*Was there any noticeable power increase?
*Were there any problems?
*If you did it again, would you make any changes?

Please, No opinions, Just facts :-D [addsig]

morgster, i spoke with a tech rep at flex-a-lite who recommended to go with the most draw as possible such as the 2800 cfm (think i mistakenly said 2200 earlier) - as big a unit as you can squeeze behind the rad. As for your posting, one thing noticeable without the clutch fan is the engine is 'snappier' with the throttle. Make no mistake; you can hear that fan whir when it kicks in.

The 150 barely fit between the pump and the rad. Had to make some mods.

The steeper blade angle will certainly draw more air - and make more noise as well.
The 150 appeared to be made sturdier than the wrangler fan - so the equal price may be for those snazzy brackets that the wrangler comes with (think they were cast aluminum). The 150's steel brackets are not that cool, but after all, they only hold the fan shroud up against the rad.

It pulls so much i use the fan when parking like a trolling motor :) [addsig]

bluebelle:

I took you advice and changed to the Black Magic #150. (A little customizing was needed to install, same cost, added CFM, stronger motor, better in the long run) I had read about Jeepers using Ford Taurus fans with great success but the power draw was substantially more and for now the Black Max will be fine. Test fit showed clearance of about 1/32 of an inch using the existing radiator mounts. (Not enough for me) Fortunately Jeep engineering created some raised areas where the stock radiator mounted (Probably used for a/c equipped models). I removed those spots, which allowed the radiator to move about 1/2 inch farther forward, now giving me enough clearance. I have a couple of ideas to gain another 1/4 and that should be plenty.

Again Thanks for the input. :cool: [addsig]

MORRGSTER, IF YOU DON'T HAVE THE CASH, GO TO THE JUNK YARD AND PICK UP A DUAL FAN SET UP OUT OF A NISSAN. HOOK ONE SIDE UP ON A AUTO TEMP. SWITCH AND THE OTHER ON A MANUAL SWITCH. YOU'LL NEVER BE STRANDED........FOR A TOTAL COST OF $65 BUCKS.. WHAT UP WITH THAT:evil:

edited by: Gspotracing, Mar 22, 2003 - 03:32 PM[addsig]

Back