engine hesitation

burton

my 83 cj7 has been hesitating for the past week. I replaced the distributor cover and wires and the fuel filter but I don't know what is causing it to hesitate as I accelerate. Any ideas??

RE: Re: 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited For Sale

im not sure what carb is on it probably the carter. it says remanufactured on it

RE: Coil questions: What ignition coil works best?

May sound dumb, but this has happened to me and it turned out my vacuum advance had a big ol' hole in it. Check all the hoses going to the vac advance and see if their ok.

SenorCole86 said:
May sound dumb, but this has happened to me and it turned out my vacuum advance had a big ol' hole in it. Check all the hoses going to the vac advance and see if their ok.

Not dumb at all :wink: . That's actually what I was thinking it might be too

Skid Plate - Cat Help

the hoses seem fine. Im just going to go ahead and replace the carb. Any ideas on a great upgrade from my shitty carb I have now. Keep in mind im a college student with a very limited income.

The cheapest route for carb replacement would probably be a junkyard Motorcraft 2150 and a cheap adapter. It will almost certainly need a rebuild, but the kits to do it are cheap. Find a rebuild writeup on the web or in a manual. Just follow the directions and keep everything clean and it's not hard at all.

The hesitation could be anything from the ignition advance to fuel delivery. Before you do anything else, check all hoses for leaks and all grounds for good connections. Time it, and do a basic tune of the carb. Then do a step by step inspection of the whole ignition and fuel systems. The problem is more than likely going to jump out at you before you get very far into it, but it's great time to go ahead and make sure it's ALL working as it should.

Ya, I agree with Junkpile. Make sure it's not something else before you replace the carb. I'm not steering you away from the MC 2100/2150 though, it is a very good switch. I'm VERY happy with mine.

Back