Engine light

Texas Gringo

On my 95 X auto 6 an engine picture came on on my dash. Stays on constantly not flashing. I've been told it could be just an engine misfire caused it. Do not want to pay a dealer to tell me nothings wrong and turn it off. Should i take it in?? Runs perfect.

The "Key Tricks" Older (OBDI) models - Start with the ignition off. Within five seconds, switch the key on, off, on, off, on. ("On" is NOT "Start" and "Off" is NOT "Lock"). The "check engine" light will flash. Count the flashes. Each code is a two digit code, so a (for example) 23 would be FLASH FLASH (pause) FLASH FLASH FLASH (long pause). It will never flash more than 9 times, so watch for those pauses!

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Jeepz

Last edited:
^^ AZ or Oreillys have a code reader for odbi
Or you might be able to do the key on, off on, off on off then count the flashes. They come in sets of two and last code being 55. Post the codes up and we could help you through with what they mean.

The XJ and ZJ for the late 90's are notorious for electrical issues. I have had XJs that it starts with the engine light and I wind up chasing gremlins for months before getting angry and building new wire harnesses.

Check engine light will have a cause though. Probably the timer for the O2 sensors is saying it's time to change.

Back