Engine Swap

Whips 17

What's the biggest engine that someone had installed in a CJ. I have a 350 stock and thinking of installing a 383 strocker or a 454? What have you done or seen. Thks

Ive got a 401 in mine but thats far from the biggest ever installed in a cj.

love dat 5.7L HEMI POWER

image-3404141888.jpg

Micah Chambers said:
A buddy of mine has a 82 cj7 he has it on 52's with a Corbett ls1 in it.

Corvett sorry. It's fuel injected which is much better on gas than a 454. I have a 97tj I'm putting a chevy 5.3 in for better fuel economy and towing. I'm taking full drive train out of a 04 z71. Should be getting 20+mpg when done. Right now I'm lucky if I get 11mpg with my 4.0

I saw one on fleabay with an old T-bird 390 in it, and I saw one not too far away from me that had an old dodge 400 in it. You can pput anything you want in anything you want with enough time, money, and work. There was a guy that ran a welding shop near where I grew up, he built a small block chevy drag car out of a yugo (remember them?)...Why? :?| Because he had a junker car and a spare motor..."and because I could" was the answer I got back then.

You can put whatever motor you want in a cj, it all depends on how you drive it once its in there. The drivetrain from a cj, even with the dana 44 axle wasnt designed to handle the torque of a big block motor. Sure you can squeal tires a few times, but if you plan on any serious 'wheelin' or "hot rodding" I am sure that you will be being towed home. Unless you want to spend the cash to get a set of narrowed 1-ton running gear with a trans and case to match, I would stick with something a little more closer to stock.

Back