Engine taps after warming up

Trac

I have the 2.4 in my 95 YJ. When i first start it up it sounds great but once i reach the normal temp, the engine starts tapping loudly. Ive checked the oil and it looks good. Can someone tell me what this could be? It might be a dumb question but i just feel better knowing what it could be if i try to have it fixed. Thank you.

I am not 100% certain but it almost sounds like lifter tap based on your description. I believe keep used solid lifters which would behave in the manner you described. Don't take me for certain, as it has been forever since I worked on a newer model motor.

Well, the '95 (actually, all 4 cyl YJ's) were 2.5, not 2.4. I would also like to point out that these engines are inherently noisy, so a soft tap is more or less common. However, if your case you feel is more than common, try replacing a quart of oil with ATF... That ussually cleans and removes gunk that causes the noise.

Thank you guys for your help. Im not sure why i thought it was a 2.4L. When you say replace a quart of oil with ATF fluid, im assuming automatic transmission fluid. Is that correct?

I figured this was normal but when it was cold there was no sign of the tapping noise so i thought id ask.

Yes, use 3 QT of regular oil, 1 QT of Automatic Transmission Fluid... Then go back to 4 QT of regular oil. The ATF should clean the inside...

Back