Engine woes!

Josaff

Could a bad lifter cause an inline 6 to have trouble turning over when it is trying to start on the cylinder with the failing lifter? My theory is yes as the compression on the exhaust stroke could be going nowhere and causing the engine to not turn over. Or it's the 7 year old starter , but I did check the battery an it is fine. So let's recap my jeep has a failing lifter it sometimes won't start and costs a small fortune to enjoy, sound familiar! Any way I was just thinking out loud , has anybody else had anything like this happen, or could it even happen?

Sorry to hear of your troubles.........but, myself thinking out loud, I would think not. I would think, even with the bad compression on that one cylinder, there's 5 other ones firing and it should start......though it probably won't run very well. Hopefully, those more knowledgeable than me will chime in. Did you check the battery under load? I know they do that at places like AutoZone, and I also know when I check it with my multimeter, it really doesn't mean squat!! Bottom line............ I don't think the failing lifter should cause starting problems. Anyone else??? Educate us, please??

Back