Engine won't turn off

GaryMB

Redrooster rollover pics

I just installed a new distributor in my jeep and have been having an interesting time trying to turn off the engine. When I turn the ignition switch to off, the motor fumbles around from anywhere to 3 to 15 seconds. My main question is...is the coil supposed to have a constant supply of 12 volts? As long as nothing will be hurt and battery won't be drained, I can manage with the difficulty in shutting off the engine. Just wan't to make sure...

H2O

sounds to me like your timming is off

RE: overheating (again)+oil pressure

ya, check the timing.

Is it an automatic? if so, try shutting it off while it's still in gear and report back on whether it still does it or not.

It could also be that it's idleing too fast. Do you know how many RPM's it's at while idleing??

RE: Redrooster rollover pics

It's a manual, so I won't be able to shut it off in gear. The lowest I've seen the idle go is about 700 rpm, but most of the time it is closer to 1000 rpm (sometimes when I go to shift gears the engine drops to about 1500 rpm and stays there. Reving it seems to drop it to about 900 rpm. A mechanic adjusted the carb and timing when I got a smog pretest, so I'll go check under the hood to see if the timing is right and see if I can lower the idle...maybe the sol-vac screw is not set right?

lower control arms

double check the timing and lower that idle down, for sure LBR

RE: St. Louis pursuit

ya, 1000 is too high. 700 would be more where it should be.

If the timing is right, it is doing it because it's idling too high.

RE: Re: RE: Dana 60 front/Transmission questions

Hi-Ya GaryMB,

The 1984 Carter BBD carburetor provides three idle speed adjustments.

(1) Curb idle speed (slowest - Sol-Vac and choke disengaged)

(2) Normal Idle (warmed engine)

(3) Cold engine (auto-choke closed)

Each of the three idle speeds must be correctly set. Idle too fast = dieseling. The three idle speeds are indicated, I believe, on the emissions sticker.

If the dieseling problem appeared after changing the distributor, however, you might want to re-check ignition timing following the procedures listed on the emissions sticker.

If you cannot find the emissions sticker or it is illegible, let us know. Sully recently posted a good picture of the sticker. If required, I will try to find the thread that includes that pic and post a hyper-link.

Regards,

Only one idle speed, Gadget

PS: There should be approx. 9-10 Volts DC applied to the distributor when the ignition key is "on" and the engine is running. Full battery voltage is applied to the distributor only when the starter is engaged. (There is a voltage-dropping resistance wire in that circuit which is bypassed during the "start" phase of engine operation.

Inspector-Gadget said:
Hi-Ya GaryMB,

PS: There should be approx. 9-10 Volts DC applied to the distributor when the ignition key is "on" and the engine is running. Full battery voltage is applied to the distributor only when the starter is engaged. (There is a voltage-dropping resistance wire in that circuit which is bypassed during the "start" phase of engine operation.

So will anything bad happen if I keep driving the jeep with a constant 12volts going to the distributor? If so, instead of digging through the rat's nest of wiring, I'll just throw the HEI back in now that the jeep has passed smog...as long as it won't plug up the cat for the next time I need to pass smog.

RE: NW event

GaryMB wrote:

So will anything bad happen if I keep driving the jeep with a constant 12volts going to the distributor?

Ah! You never mentioned the HEI dizzy until the post immediately above. If you had, I would have differently cast my earlier post.

Just a guess -- but I suspect the voltage dropping resistance wire was bypassed for the prior installation of the HEI. The HEI needs full battery voltage.

The voltage dropping resistance wire merely lowers current flow through the ignition primary circuit so as to reduce the generated/dissipated heat. If you run the OEM distributor with full battery voltage, you might reduce the lifespan of the primary ignition circuit components.

Regards,

Gadget

Back