Please Help :(

Rebel_Frontier

Soooo, I haven't been on here in quite a while because well my jeep had been running fine. Recently, I've run into a few things I can't narrow down. Maybe the good ol' jeep community can help :)

I have a 98 TJ, she just got an engine put in (pulled from a 99 Cherokee) 4.0L 6 cyl. She was running fine for a while, when all of a sudden she would not crank over. Took her to the mechanic, said she was loosing fuel compression and that it might be my fuel pump or the filter is clogged. When I swapped the engines, the newer engine got new spark plugs, new freeze plugs, new valve cover gaskets, etc. I put fuel system treatment and replaced my cables (idk why I didn't do this when I replaced it) and well it started working fine for about 2 weeks. Recently (started 3 days ago) she started sputtering when I was driving and well it just got worse. Now, she sputters at idle, then after a few minutes at idle, the RPM's raise and stay at 1 during idling. When you press the gas, she doesn't respond right away. For example, ill put her in first gear and try to take off but because of the delayed reaction she just shuts off and won't turn back on. The only way I can get her to crank over is by holding the accelerator down, even then if I let go of the gas once she's on, she'll turn off. Black smoke is coming from the tail pipe, and the strong scent of gasoline is present. Right now, I just noticed what seemed to be liquid coming from the tail pipe. Not much, just a couple dots here and there. She also has a rear main seal leak, but I don't think this is the culprit as I constantly make sure she has oil. Any ideas on what's wrong would be much appreciated, idk if its the fuel pump or what. Thanks guys!

*Edit: I also put an aftermarket intake on her. Idk if this night be the problem? :(

The check engine light on? Sounds like the Throttle Position Sensor may be going south. The Crank Position Sensor and it's harness can also cause intermittent rough running conditions, and a no-start condition.

Back