Exhaust trouble/ extreme loss in power

Imakrazy

Bought my wrangler with the muffler barely attached and after about a month now it just started to start up normal sometimes and them after I hit 3rd or so it starts making a whiny higher pitched noise almost sounds like a turbo.. Anyway I can't get it to get over 2000rpm when this is happening and I have to drive 45 mph down the highway. Please tell me what you think, I'm hoping I just need a new muffler but I always thought if the muffler was off the jeep would be a lot louder not whiny like this. I have a muffler being delivered to pep boys it should be there by Tuesday thanks for any help in advance!

I had the same whine and loss of power on mine. Turns out the catalytic converter was bad which literally blew chunks into the muffler. Plugged it up do bad I had to replace a 1 year old muffler.

You can take the exhaust loose right where it connects to the converter and use a long bar to jam in there and open it back up. Way cheaper than buying a new converter. After you get a hole opened up start the jeep and blow the chunks out of it and hook your exhaust back up. Put your new muffler on and your good to go. I've done this on several over the years. A new converter will be $200 plus I would imagine. If u live in California u probably can't get by with this because of emissions laws though.

I'm doing this first then to see if I can get away with it. Also idk what it is but my oil sounds like its bubbling and when I floor the gas it sputters and my jeep won't go above 50. I'm getting an oil change today just to get a fresh start on that too

reversion of the exhaust caused by the clog in the tailpipe is forcing the exhaust back into the motor and slowing it down.

Back