Exhausted CJ-7 - Stupid Question of the Week

Lemeritus

The State of California isn't happy with my '86 CJ and it looks like I'm going to have to replace the fuel tank and hoses to keep my baby on public roads. That said, I'm mechanically illiterate. I've got a good mechanic who's given me a shopping list -- so here's the stupid question: are fuel filler hoses the same as fuel fill pipe hoses?

Descriptively speaking, i would say yes. Like a bolt and a retainer, same thing in most cases.

One thing to look for is the return hoses from the fuel filter just before the carb that go back to the fuel tank. If those get hard and/or are cracked, replace them. Check the hoses behind the left tire under the fender.

I had trouble finding the filler hose. Eventually used a combination of straight fuel hose, copper water fittings and hose clamps. If memory serves it was 1 inch hose and a couple of 45 degree copper fittings. I did see the hose later on line but mines a little earlier being a 89YJ.

Why do they want the tank changed? Unless it leaks, it has no bearing on emission requirements (if stock)

I just got mine (83 CJ) smogged here in CA just a week ago. Yeah...it's a crock!! Part of the routine was that they pressure tested the fuel system. Including the fuel cap. If your system cannot hold adequate pressure they assume you are leaking it out to the environment. I had already replaced the fuel filler hoses on the passenger side and the rollover check valve hoses (driver side behind rear wheel). In order to do this I had to remove the fuel tank since the check valve hoses terminated at the top of the fuel tank inaccesable unless removed. While I had it out I went ahead and put in a new fuel pump. That part passed. Mine failed at the emmissions part. In the end I'd be hesitant to replace the fuel tank just because. However...considering that it has to come out for the aforementioned repairs if you have any concerns about it's integrity now'd be the time to do it.

Back