explorer rear in YJ

allabs5150

Anyone here put an 8.8 out of an explorer in a YJ?? Whats entailed? I know I would have to make sure the gears are the same in both rears. Does anyone know what gears are in a stock explorer 8.8?

you can get pretty much any common gear ratio up to 4.10. this is one of the easyier swaps IMOP. you get an axle with roughly the same width as stock and same bolt patter. some even come with disc brakes. all you have to do is move the spring perches and shock mounts. ( explores use shock mounts on the spring perch..i think.. anyway look for a rearend out of a 95 or newer exploer so you get the disc brajkes.

Get the rear out of a 95 and up. The 91-94 were not nearly as strong, (didn't have the desirable 31 spline axles) and ya they got disc brakes.

DO a google search, there a lot of different online tech pages on this swap in both YJ's, and TJ's

I am in process of aquiring the parts to do this in my YJ. You need to be able to weld of access to a welder!

Lining up the front drive shaft...

I have an 87' YJ. Why Would I want to put an 8.8 in instead of a D44?Are they more common?Cheaper?How much are they?Can you gat a locker for them?Any and all info would be appericated Thank-you.

what rear end do you have now a d35? i would look into getting the arb super 35 kit from quadratec its like 1500 but most definetly worth it seeing how the arb is half that

reason people like doing the 8.8 swap is that it is alot cheaper than doing the super 35 kit. although you dont get a locker with an 8.8. :lol:

phatyaspen said:
what rear end do you have now a d35? i would look into getting the arb super 35 kit from quadratec its like 1500 but most definetly worth it seeing how the arb is half that

Overpriced, and polishing a turd :roll: You still have an axle with weak axle tubes and a center section that easily spins on the tubes. Upgrade to a junkyard 8.8 or D44 for half that, with a locker.

the super 35 is crap... like bounty said, it is just stronger axles inside a weak tube, and powered by a weak center... the 8.8 is availible with limited slip and disc brakes.. and is comparable to the dana 44... the ONLY drawback is the width... but you can get a full sized version out of an F-150

What do you mean width? I've read that the explorer is just alittle short width wise.Are you saying a f-150 is the exact width? :?:

no, the f-150 is wider i believe... but i'm quite tired at this moment and can't quite think right

Pcoz88 said:
What do you mean width? I've read that the explorer is just alittle short width wise.Are you saying a f-150 is the exact width? :?:

i think what he means by full width is the it is a longer axle ( 65 inches compared to 59 for jeeps)

and you are correct inb thinking that the 8.8 out of an explorer is about the same width as your dana 30. there is only about a 1/2 inch difference..nothing too noticable and it came easly bve fixed with wheel spacers.

Don't forget the disc 8.8 also came in Mountaineers, Navajos, and a few other Ford type vehicles similar to the Exploder.

Back