Extending lifts

90Xjay

I want to up my lift a little more on the existing Rusty's 3" AAL.

I think that I can use a front spring spacer 1.25" and new, extended lift shackes in the back to net me just over another inch.

Here is the 64 Thousand Dollar Question.............

Will the shocks I got with the kit still work, with the addtional lift. I hope that just another inch to inch and 1/4 won't cause a problem with the shock travel.
:roll: :roll: :roll:

RE: 89 wagoneer axle specs?

Use the shocks, there is a possibility they may limit down travel slightly, but shouldn't cause a noticable performance problem.

my roomate has the rusty's 3" aal kit and he did exactly what you are talking about. no complaints from him. run those shocks.

RE: 89 wagoneer axle specs?

I'd do it and then cycle the suspension to see what's happening under there. You will probably be fine, maybe losing a little bit of droop like Bounty said. MAYBE......depending on how long your shocks are now. Do you max out the downward travel of the shocks while flexed out with it the way it is? Could you fab some simple shock extensions that are the same length as the amount of added lift?

They will work, but the real question is are you planning on buying an adjustable trackbar if you don't already have one? You'll need one at 4+ inches of lift.

RE: thread previews

They will work, but the real question is are you planning on buying an adjustable trackbar if you don't already have one? You'll need one at 4+ inches of lift.

Sure do, I am getting a RE adjustable to re-center the front axle.

RE: Looky at what I did!

If you haven't bought it yet, I'd like to suggest you get the Rusty's bar that uses the stock type bushing. 2 reasons, the RE bar's joint wears out quickly (I already need a new one) and the rusty's piece allows you to put the stock one back if you ever want to drop or sell the Jeep.

Just a thought.

siminsez01 said:
my roomate has the rusty's 3" aal kit and he did exactly what you are talking about. no complaints from him. run those shocks.
actually, not to be that guy, but he's got full leafs in there right now, with longer shackles. no AAL. not sure what shocks he runs though, i do believe you're right that he still runs the shocks he got with the 3" lift.

on a side note, how long are the shocks 90? what you're looking at doing is nothing too drastic, but keep in mind, if you gain flex, its not wise to use your shocks as travel limiters. you could make some limiting straps (or buy them, they're really cheap) or look into extended bumpstops. as i said, i dont think you're adding enough to put to much stress on your shocks, but if you already full extend them, its something to consider before you put more stress on them.

RE: Ebay Rip-Off

I'm assuming you have the inexpensive Rusty's Hydro shocks on there... worst case scenario is they start to leak after a while and then you replace them ;)

Good points all around :D :D :D

After I do the deed, I can use a jack to see if the shocks are going to bottom out and then I can fab up some limiters.

As for now, I am just trying to set a budget for this project and really did not want to have to buy shocks now. I am really pumped about turning wrenches again on the suspension, I just want to use hammers and air tools :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back