finally used ammo cans

superj

i have a number of ammo cans i bought from a guy locally that i had planned on using in the ol' jeep. today was a nice day so i got off black ops and went out and finally put the cans in.
i always wanted to get rid of the center console because it, well, sucks. it holds two cans of soda and the bottom is broken out so everything slides out onto the floor behind the seats and it is just a crappy design. anyways, i wanted to put some ammo cans in the back to put my tools in and still have everything look normal so i drilled the cans and used some previous bolts on one can and two bolts on the other and ended up with this.

2011-03-05171419.jpg

the small 3.5 x 10" can

2011-03-05171435.jpg

the larger normal 6 x 11 can

here they are with the seat down to make sure they can still be accessed.

2011-03-05171828.jpg

2011-03-05171840.jpg

now, it looks like i just have some ammo cans sitting in the back and i can still put junk in the back behind the seat. all the tool i carry fit into the cans as well as my mag light and bug spray and multi meter.

now, i have to find where to mount all these also

2011-03-05172019.jpg

here is what is written on the little can, in case anyone wants to try to find some that size. it actually fits in that odd spot between the seat riser and the door and i am thinking of putting the last two i have on each side, since there are already bolts in the floor. just a matter of drilling hte ammo cans and putting a spacer so they sit level

2011-03-05172030.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

That's sweet I would def do the last thing you mentioned, I think I just might

Great idea placing them between the tub and seat pillar, going to check clearance as I'm running Corbeau's and it may be too tight.

hey, something i noticed hte other day. i have them at the correct position that you cannot open them with the tail gate closed. so if you lock the tailgate, you can take the top off and run with a bikini top and not worry about your tools being stolen

See if you can find space under the hood for one.

I had a large can for my console in my old CJ7 and it worked perfectly. Very weather / theft resistant.

i looked but the only place i can find is where the vapor canister is. my vapor canister is not hooked up so on of the smaller boxes fits easily but for people who still have that in use, thats not an option. i want to try and find some other sizes to use in other areas though. i was thinking that if someone bought one of those double battery mounts, they could run a single battery on the bottom and use the top to hold an ammo can though.

I use the exact same 7.62 MM ammo can as a center console in my jeep. I found the factory and aftermarket ones to be too large and cumbersome, plus with the cage in, they simply would not fit.

ok, i found a spot under the hood for one, now i just have to find the right size box. i am even going to use the existing bolt holes to mount it. i need a box that is only 6" tall though. width is not really a problem as long as it is less then 8" and length is the normal 11" or 12".

also, for those looking for a lockable box that fits behind hte seats, a 120mm mortar ammo can is 32" long, 12" wide, and 6" tall. that fits easily behind our rear seat and can be bolted to the floor giving you a box that is watertight and lockable only using up a little of our valuable storage space. i have found them on ebay for as little as 12 bucks plus shipping and up to 40 bucks plus shipping. i am trying to find out how they latch and if they hook in a way i like, i will get one and remove my little boxes in the back to put a larger one

ok, mortar ammo can opens the wrong way. sucks because it will fit perfectly behind the seat but opens on one of the ends instead of up from one of the larger flat sides

Ok, got one mounted in the engine bay finally. I used a regular old 6x11x8 ammo can and mounted it using an old jack factory mount. Drilled out some of the welds and welded it to the ammo can and then bolted it to factory mounting points. Lid open s and closes and the hood doesn't hit anywhere. I will post some pics when I get to my phone since I am on the wife's I-phone and I cannot figure out how to open multiple pages to copy and paste

20110314151640-1.jpg

20110314151651-1.jpg

its tilted so everything doesn't just fall out. i moved my tools and some other stuff into that so the ones in the jeep are basically empty. it clears the seam for hte fender and when you close the lid, it doesn't hit anything or rattle around on bumps. its very solid with that 3 point bolting. you can see the jack mount i used. its from the wife's 93 sahara and was a little different then the one in my 87 but the parts i used, the base, is the same

Back