For those of you that need a motor....

Sound_Man

Hi Guys and Gals,

For those of you that need a motor, and are looking at a 4.0L.

I am in need of an engine and have shopped around a lot for one. I really have 3 choices.

1. Rebuild the one I have.
2. Buy a motor to rebuild
3. Buy a rebuilt motor

Option 1, I do not want to do because my Jeep will be out of commission the entire time the rebuild is going on and the financial part of option 2 comes into play. I am not sure about the head or the block. They both could be cracked. I know the bearings and the lifters are shot, along with valves that are bad. The time involved for this would be more than I would want to be without my XJ.

Option 2, a motor from a junkyard or private party is about $100.00. Rebuild kit with all parts needed for top and bottom of the motor is $950.00 (pistons, rings, lifters gaskets, bearings, cam…..). Getting the head and block tanked and decked is $150.00 (I have to borrow or rent a truck to haul the block back and forth to the shop). My time to rebuild it, and pray that the head, and the block are not cracked. Total cost $1200.00 (if everything goes well) plus my time. The time involved for this would be more than I would want to wait for a motor. I can only work on it on the weekends.

Option 3, $1100.00 plus $200.00 for shipping and $350 for the core charge (shipping and core charge varies but that is an average). 7 year 70,000 mile warranty, someone to call and yell at when it doesn’t work, other than yelling at myself. :lol: It can be delivered to my door/garage, and the core picked up from the same location. Total cost $1300.00 plus a day to pull the bad and drop in the new.

This is just something to think over. I am going for option 3

good luck Sound... the clock is ticking...21 days and counting.. hope you can do it.

Back