"Free & Easy Horsepower" - for the 4.0L six, a

CTJeeper

I found this link on a site months ago, and followed the directions to remove a "restrictor" out of the stock airbox on my YJ. I did it the first night i had my jeep so i dont know how much of a difference it made, but i just remembered it and figured I'd post it in case anybody else wants to give it a try. The whole process takes maybe 5 minutes. Click Here to go to the site. Tell me how it goes if you do it, and if anybody with a 2.5L gives it a try, tell me if it was the same thing.[addsig]

A better idea for more power is to just take the stock air box out completely and do the "K&N" mod. With mine I did it the cheapo way instead of buying the $70 tube. I kept the stock flex tube and bought 2 pvc 45 degree elbows the same size as the tube. I glued them together and drilled holes for emissions hoses (2), inserted them and sealed with silicon, and then clamped the filter on and then inserted the new "tube" into my stock air hose and clamped and viola! $10 K&N conversion. I could really feel the difference plus that it sounds cool too. I have the 2.5 but I am sure it works for the 6 cylinder as well.[addsig]

I just pulled the "restricter" out as of friday. So far, the jeep has only had time to run on the pavement and I haven't trail tested this yet, but have a 2.5 I'd see if it would help on the highway. Well, I have good news. My milage went up a little, haven't calculated it yet. I also was pulling a trail with a snowmoble(something that I dread due to the Hills I must go up.) which ussually dogs me down, but it seemed like I had a litte more umf in the engine. It may be the lack of the restrictor or the possible fact that I blew off the muffler and have no back pressure(don't worry the muffler was gone before I tood off the restricter) Anyway, just thought I'd let everyone know. Hope this helps.

Keep on Jeepin,

Paul[addsig]

I take the "snorkle" off of my factory six, when I'm not wheeling. I have a 99, and it does improve hp on the highway Rob
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
[addsig]

I pulled my restrictor out about a year ago. I read somewhere (it might even have been here...I can't remember) from someone that works for chrystler that the restrictor isn't in there to restrict the power like most people think, it has something to do with airflow to the charcoal canister and emissions. Supposedly, according to this person over time it will destroy your charcoal canister and whatever sensor it is that is on your air tube going from your box to the intake. I pulled mine out about a year ago and the only problems I've had is that sensor and for all I know it was going before I pulled the restrictor out. [addsig]

I took the "restrictor" out of my 95YJ 2.5L about a month ago. When I did I did I noticed another one on the way into the airbox. Took that one off too. Noticable improvement.[addsig]

Back