Friend of the Family Killed in Iraq

A friend of my cousin's, Spc. John Edward Wood, was killed by a roadside bomb October 9th. My cousin met him at Pittsburgh State University in SE Kansas, and they immediately hit it off. John was assigned to an engineering battalion at Garnett, where my cousin was from, so that helped them form a stronger friendship. John was the best man at my cousin's wedding. I'm asking for prayers for his family and friends. Too close to home.:(

From the Wichita Eagle:

Funeral services have been set for Spc. John Edward Wood, a Kansas National Guardsman killed in action in Iraq on Oct. 7.

Visitation will be Wednesday from 5 to 7 p.m. at the Waugh-Yokum & Friskel Memorial Chapel, 16 N. Buckeye St., Iola.

A graveside service will be at 10 a.m. on Thursday at Dayton Cemetery in Bourbon County.

Wood was a member of Detachment 1, Headquarters Support Company, 891st Engineer Battalion, in Garnett. He was attached to the Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 110th Engineer Battalion, Missouri National Guard, Kansas City, Mo.

Wood enlisted into the Kansas Army National Guard in October 1988 with Company D, 891st Engineer Combat Battalion, at Fort Scott, Kan., as a Construction Equipment Repairer (62B10). He completed Basic Combat Training and Advanced Individual Training at Fort Leonard Wood, Mo., as a Technical Engineer (62B10). He completed Primary Leadership Development Course and was a Combat Life Saver. In September 2004 he mobilized to deploy with the Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 891st Engineer Combat Battalion, Iola, in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom and in December 2005 he chose to extend with Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 110th Engineer Combat Battalion.

Wood is survived by his wife, Lannette, and four children; Kimberly, Wayne, Dannielle and Lila.

I served during the Vietnam era. I always appreciated my fellow soldier's who chose to serve in a time of great social turmoil. Some of my friends died in service to this country.

It is a sad thing to hear of period. When it is someone close to you, it is even harder to take.

My prayers and condolences and thanks for letting us know of the loss.

For the last couple of years, we have been losing way too many of our friends. But, not even close to the numbers in our previous wars, but a life is a life. I lost my Commander in Baghdad on May 18 2006 to an IED and it's tough and hard to deal with. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

Really sorry to hear that, Sparky, and prayers are going out from the muds. I find it hard to believe (when I think back) that I lived through the Viet Nam era and never lost anyone that I knew personally (lost physically, not mentally). I pray daily that they all come home safe.

Well, I had a best friend from High School go missing in the first Gulf War. He was Special Forces, and the Army won't even list him as missing or anything. They show him active duty/whereabouts unknown. Not AWOL, Not MIA, just still as an active soldier. That's just strange. Pretty much all of our friends and his family believe he is dead.

shew seems like bad news is just coming all over today .... so sad to hear with 3 of my closest friends in service one overseas right now and previously in afganistan a few years back its so hard to think that they might not make it back .... in my prayers for sure !! very sorry to hear

Back