Front pass. tire wobble...hub???

bryanjeep

When I jack the front passenger side of the Jeep up, I can actually wiggle my tire. It looks as though it is coming from the hub assembly. Can my 94 YJ hub be tightened or do I have to spill $200 in getting a new hub?

I dont want my tire falling off. It it can be driven like this for a while, I wont fix it since I am upgrading axles anyway.

about $130 at autozone... the hub is one unit, built from two sections... if it comes apart, there is nothing holding your wheel on.... best replace that...

Snitty said:
about $130 at autozone... the hub is one unit, built from two sections... if it comes apart, there is nothing holding your wheel on.... best replace that...

You're so dry Snitty it's hillarious. I mean that as a compliment.

Stated very matter of fact: "if your hub comes apart, nothing is holding your wheel on... best replace that..." Ya think? Heeheheheheheee. :lol:

just to be sure.. have you checked the ball joints? they will cause the wheel to wobble, and its more likely that is the issue... could be wheel bearings too. I'd check it more thoroughly. jack it up, put it on stands, look at the underside while someone else wiggles it and see what is moving. I don't think the hub itself holds anything, but the bearings in the center of it do.

I agree with Grae...check your ball joints...........it will be alot better to fix what's actually broke LOL

It sounds to me like a wheel bearing is the problem. Might check that first. Much cheaper and ez to fix. I always trouble shoot from the least costly and work your way up the dollar parts list. If it is the beaing go ahead and do both side cause it will be going on the other side soon! Just my 2 cents. tug

the hub/bearing is one piece.... after i posted... i thought about the ball joints... the reason i said "nothing is holding it on" is because some believe that the axle nut holds the wheel there.... it doesn't... if the hub comes apart, the axle has free movement to slide out..

and thanks mingez... my sarcasm is not often picked up

that rots.. nothing like making parts replaceable or anything..

wanted, quick discos

So the bearing is inside the hub huh. When I wiggle it, I see the axleshaft move a bit too. Is that normal with a bad hub? What size socket do I need to remove the hub? What is involved here? All that has to come out is the rotor, caliper, and take the cotter pin out. Then unscrew that big nut? The hub comes out after that?

tire off... caliper off... rotor off... axle nut off... remove the 3 bolts from the back of the hub (1/2" 12pt) then you can use a puller to remove the old hub.... but NEVER use a puller to remove a hub that you intend on putting back... if the hub pulls apart, then you must use this method (which is also the method for removing a good hub that you intend on putting back): remove tire, caliper, and rotor... back out, but do not remove, the 3 1/2" 12pt bolts that hold the hub in place about a quarter inch... use a center punch or an old socket to hammer the bolts inward until the hub cracks loose... you will have to turn the steering to reach all bolts... repeat hammering them until the hub comes free... you may have to use a wedge style tool to hit in between the hub and knuckle to help shock the mated surfaces while removing...

before putting it back on... grease the splines of the shaft and hub so it is a little easier to work with....

since you will have the hub off... pull the axle out (no extra steps, it just pulls out) and replace the Ujoint on it.... down the road, you'll be happy you did...

and yeah... the axle is mated with the hub, if the bearing is bad, and it can shake, the axle will move with it

Snitty, you say that if I remove the hub and intend to use the old one, don't use a puller. Why else would I take the hub out (stupid Question)? I still need to check and see if it is the ball joints. Does the hub have to come out to get to the ball joints?

WHAT IS ONE SURE GOOD WAY TO PINPOINT THE PROBLEM? I dont have all my tools that I could get to at my old house. I moved out of my parents house and moved into my brother's apartment in New Orleans.

the ball joints can be replaced without removing the hub.. they are just above & below the assembly if I reember correctly.

wheel joints.... to replace the wheel joints you must remove the hub... and.. if you use a puller, and the assembly pulls apart... you still might be stuck with using the bolt/smack method

Jack that corner of the Jeep up until the tire comes off the ground. Wiggle the tire while looking at the outer knuckle. If the knuckle moves with the tire then the ball joints are shot, if not then the hub assembly is at fault. I think it is much more likely a hub/bearing problem than ball joints.

Back